PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update question?

DMGrier
July 20th, 2011, 03:44 AM
So I got a book called Ubuntu unleashed 2011 edition and I am going through each part of the book and I just started.

So I just ran through the first issue, I started with update process. So I started with

sudo apt-get update

Then apt-get dist-upgrade

and then this pops up

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

Would I by right in saying it is telling me I have to be in root to do this update? I heard that root can be a dangerous.

I know there is a GUI for this task but I am trying to learn terminal. Some info on this would be great.

Mr. Shannon
July 20th, 2011, 04:24 AM
The sudo cammand temporarily elevates you to root privleges. The book just left off the sudo on the second command. Try this:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And yes, root can be very dangerous. When logged in as root I don't even think Linux will ask for confirmation if you try to delete the operating system, but I could be wrong and I'm not about to test the theory. Note: using sudo can be dangerous as well but you have to explicitly apply it to a command so there is less chance of the user doing something stupid. To read more about sudo go to this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

EDIT: There may be other reasons why sudo is better than root but I don't know for sure.

DMGrier
July 20th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks so much, I can move around Ubuntu pretty well with the exception of terminal. Just never really learned how to use it.

2F4U
July 20th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Another reason why sudo may be preferable over root is that the root user is well known and a hacker's first target. If there is no root user (as in Ubuntu) a hacker would need to first guess the name of an user account before attempting to guess the password. So there is one additional line of defence.

koleoptero
July 20th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Another reason why sudo may be preferable over root is that the root user is well known and a hacker's first target. If there is no root user (as in Ubuntu) a hacker would need to first guess the name of an user account before attempting to guess the password. So there is one additional line of defence.

There is a root user in ubuntu as in every linux system, and in ubuntu it uses the same pass as the user so it's not exactly safer.

tommpogg
July 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM
So I got a book called Ubuntu unleashed 2011 edition and I am going through each part of the book and I just started.

So I just ran through the first issue, I started with update process. So I started with

sudo apt-get update

Then apt-get dist-upgrade

Notice that apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade the whole system to the newest release.
If you just want to upgrade the installed software, use

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

For more details, you can check the online help or a guide (for instance Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference (http://ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html))

pinballwizard
July 20th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Notice that apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade the whole system to the newest release.
Reference (http://ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html))

apt-get dist-upgrade does not move you to the next release. Where did this idea come from?

jason@Vitalstatistix:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
[sudo] password for jason:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
jason@Vitalstatistix:~$

And I remained on 10.10, and didn't magically migrate to 11.04.

tommpogg
July 20th, 2011, 08:07 AM
apt-get dist-upgrade does not move you to the next release. Where did this idea come from?

You are aright and I am sorry for the mistake.
I read it in the guide I suggested, but the man pages agree with your comment.

Sorry again and thank you for correcting me