PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Login through remote desktop and show same desktop

stekre
July 19th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I have set up a server running ubuntu desktop, and I'm able to logon through remote desktop (win 7). The problem is that if I logon from computer 1 and open some programs, I don't see these programs when I logon from computer 2.

I logon with the same user, so I find this strange. Is there some setting I have missed to be able to see the same from any computer (logon through remote desktop).

Kit Peters
July 20th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I have set up a server running ubuntu desktop, and I'm able to logon through remote desktop (win 7). The problem is that if I logon from computer 1 and open some programs, I don't see these programs when I logon from computer 2.

I logon with the same user, so I find this strange. Is there some setting I have missed to be able to see the same from any computer (logon through remote desktop).

Accessing Windows computer from another Windows computer is very easy using RDP, but when you want to access Windows computer from a machine that is running on Linux, it can be a challenging task.

Lucky you i had the same problem before and I saw an article where it can exactly show you how to use remote desktop. In this article, http://www.techyv.com/article/how-use-remote-desktop-ubuntu-linux (https://www.odesk.com/leaving_odesk.php?ref=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.techy v.com%252Farticle%252Fhow-use-remote-desktop-ubuntu-linux), It’ll show you how to access a windows computer from a remote machine running on Ubuntu Linux Operating System.

Hope this helps mate. Good luck.

dasan
July 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM
which remote desktop client you are using ? Try VNC both win and lin compatible

stekre
July 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
I think I expressed myself badly. I'm sitting at a win7 computer logging on to a ubuntu desktop machine by using rdp from the win machine into vnc on the ubuntu machine.

The problem is that if I log off from rdp on win7 computer nr.1 and log on with rdp from win7 computer nr. 2 (to ubuntu machine) I don't see the same programs that I opened from win7 computer nr. 1.

Isn't this strange when I use the same user to logon to the ubuntu machine? imo I should be able to log on to the ubuntu machine from whatever machine I like and still see the same desktop and open programs.

stekre
July 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
bump
Nobody that can help me with this? I see the programs I have started from computer nr.1 in the system monitor on computer nr.2, but how can I show the program itself (the GUI)?

For instance I have a minecraft server running. I started this from win 7 computer 1 and it runs in a terminal window. When I logon from win 7 computer 2 I can't see the terminal window, but the process is running and the server is up and running.

dasan
July 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I didn't had such problems yet.
are you logging off the user or just closing the vnc window ?
from your problem description only i got such a doubt.

while logging off all the gui things will close but running servers will remains till reboot ;)