PDA

View Full Version : Canada's soccer team: are they good?

hanzj
May 23rd, 2006, 03:23 AM
Hello,
Does anybody watch international soccer here? I'd like to know how good Canada's soccer team is? Do they join the World Cup tournaments? If so, are they good? Are they better than Japan?

Thanks.

Bragador
May 23rd, 2006, 03:27 AM
No they are not good. I don't know if they are better than japan's team though. We suck at soccer and we suck even more at rugby.

We are getting a little bit better at american football though but we're not used at doing sports on something that doesn't slide. We're living in a cold country...

hanzj
May 23rd, 2006, 03:36 AM
Bragador,
thanks for your post. But could you give me something to back up your assertion that they are not good?

Kibbo
May 23rd, 2006, 03:38 AM
Yeah, our team pretty much sucks.

There's lots of excitement because this team is better than most others we've fielded. We actually may qualify.

I don't think that's happened in 12 years or so.

That being said, I have no idea how good the are relative to Japan. You're not exactly soccer powerhouses over there, either.

adamkane
May 23rd, 2006, 04:00 AM
Canada has some of the best players in the world, just not very many. Soccer support in Canada is not strong enough to develop players from youth to professional. The great canadian players all end up outside Canada. To change this it would be good to have some canadian teams in the MLS (american league).

Soccer support is probably stronger in Japan, but Japan is not able to produce enough excellent players either. Japan has a much larger population, so it is able to produce more players, I think.

hesee
May 23rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Canada has some of the best players in the world, just not very many.

Just curious, could you name one or two?

Footissimo
May 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Erm..

There was Jim Brennan I suppose, not exactly world-class..or even (English) Premiership class, but a fairly decent left-back who played for Forest and Norwich.

*stretches*

hesee
May 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Well, I don't know much about soccer situation in North America, that's why I asked. I presume they play decent soccer in MLS, but probably not as good as in European top leagues.

If we talk about world-class, we talk about guys like Ronaldinho, Henry, Gerrard, Terry, Dida, etc :)

Toddy
May 23rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
I'm not into soccer myself, but this was recently announced:

"Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment and MLS unveiled Toronto FC as the city's newest pro sports team on Thursday at a ceremony at Exhibition Place. Toronto becomes the 13th MLS team and the first outside of the U.S."

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com

ComplexNumber
May 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Hello,
Does anybody watch international soccer here? I'd like to know how good Canada's soccer team is? Do they join the World Cup tournaments? If so, are they good? Are they better than Japan?

Thanks. canada are almost as good as san marino and the pharoah islands, and are just as likely to be in the World Cup.

Canada has some of the best players in the world, just not very many i'd like to laugh at the list of "best players in the world" too :D. i bet there isn't a single one of those "best players" that could even compare to a substitute at Port Vale.

G Morgan
May 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Thats harsh, ok Canada aren't the best but then again they don't live and breath Football like England then only manage one major tournument win in history (admittedly thats more of an achievement in itself than it sounds but it isn't where it should be in comparison to the History of Englands club game).

I'm actually dreading the FWC. I really want to support England but there'd be no living with you lot if you won. Imagine the English media with England being RWC, Ashes and FWC winners at the same time. No it doesn't bare thinking about. The noise that was made about the RWC, when Rugby is a game England barely cares about, was bad enough. ](*,)

Anyway, its not as if Football is a proper sport like Rugby ;) . Mike Tindle's doctor pointed out how he broke a meta-tarsal and played on and they didn't know until he had an x-ray 4 years later and it showed a badly healed break that was inexplicable. Compare that to Rooney and Beckhams antics over the same injury. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

henriquemaia
May 23rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Thats harsh, ok Canada aren't the best but then again they don't live and breath Football like England then only manage one major tournument win in history (admittedly thats more of an achievement in itself than it sounds but it isn't where it should be in comparison to the History of Englands club game).

I'm actually dreading the FWC. I really want to support England but there'd be no living with you lot if you won. Imagine the English media with England being RWC, Ashes and FWC winners at the same time. No it doesn't bare thinking about. The noise that was made about the RWC, when Rugby is a game England barely cares about, was bad enough. ](*,)

Anyway, its not as if Football is a proper sport like Rugby ;) . Mike Tindle's doctor pointed out how he broke a meta-tarsal and played on and they didn't know until he had an x-ray 4 years later and it showed a badly healed break that was inexplicable. Compare that to Rooney and Beckhams antics over the same injury. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Today's football is a business, clubs are entreprises (in Europe). There is very little truth in the game. That can happens to any professional sport, but in football is worse. Players, balls, equipments, etc, everything evolved, but there is this referee thing that is completely outdated. No real-time technology to help him, 3 guys more on the backup, all favoring human error. And the referee has so much power. I've gone offtopic, sorry.

unbuntu
May 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
Erm..

There was Jim Brennan I suppose, not exactly world-class..or even (English) Premiership class, but a fairly decent left-back who played for Forest and Norwich.

*stretches*
lol...As much as a Forest fan myself, I don't think Brennan is "one of the best players in the world". Radzinski might be the best known Canadian players...

Are they better than Japan?
They are definitely out of the league of Japan

G Morgan
May 23rd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Today's football is a business, clubs are entreprises (in Europe). There is very little truth in the game. That can happens to any professional sport, but in football is worse. Players, balls, equipments, etc, everything evolved, but there is this referee thing that is completely outdated. No real-time technology to help him, 3 guys more on the backup, all favoring human error. And the referee has so much power. I've gone offtopic, sorry.

I can't stand the referees insistence that they are in charge and no technology should be allowed. Any glance at other sports shows technology works. I mean would it be too difficult to put sensors on all the players then use a computer to decide if a player was beyond the last defender when the ball was played. Then the linesman can decide if he was intefering with play or not. All bad offside decisions disappear and it would work in near real time (it would give a signal quicker than some of these linesmen raise their flag).

adamkane
May 24th, 2006, 02:11 AM
There aren't any great canadian players. That's the last time I listen to CBC propaganda.

henriquemaia
May 26th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I can't stand the referees insistence that they are in charge and no technology should be allowed. Any glance at other sports shows technology works. I mean would it be too difficult to put sensors on all the players then use a computer to decide if a player was beyond the last defender when the ball was played. Then the linesman can decide if he was intefering with play or not. All bad offside decisions disappear and it would work in near real time (it would give a signal quicker than some of these linesmen raise their flag).
I totally agree with you. Maybe there are plenty of reasons for not using technology in football refereeing, but for me the more evident is that there are people that don't want to let go the control of the game. There is too much money invested in it.

Sorry for this offtopic again.