PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sudo vs su

orrymr
July 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
So, I'm not quite sure what the difference is? Is it that sudo allows you to "borrow" superuser privileges, whilst su allows you to actually log in as superuser?

Also, when I sudo [command] and get prompted for a password, after I input it, things work just fine, but if I su, and then get prompted for a password, I can't log in as superuser... Why is this?

androssofer
July 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM
So, I'm not quite sure what the difference is? Is it that sudo allows you to "borrow" superuser privileges, whilst su allows you to actually log in as superuser?

Also, when I sudo [command] and get prompted for a password, after I input it, things work just fine, but if I su, and then get prompted for a password, I can't log in as superuser... Why is this?

when u do "su" you switch user to 'root', so anything you run has root privileges... sudo is just for a single command. there isnt much different except with sudo ur less likely to give the wrong command root privileges as you need to specifically type sudo, however if u switch to 'root', as anything u run will have root privileges u might run sumthing by accident.. so i prefer sudo for tht reason.

also sudo will put anything you run in your command history, su will put it under root's command history.

haqking
July 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
su defaults to the superuser, or can be used to become another account

su <username>
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man1/su.1.html

Sudo temporarily elevates privelege if user is in sudo group to carry out admin tasks.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Roasted
July 19th, 2011, 04:16 PM
So, it's kind of like this?

Example 1 - Su

su
apt-get install audacity

versus Example 2 - Sudo

sudo apt-get install audacity

Su gives you a Fedora-feeling to it where you're in as root operating every command as root. Whereas Sudo is a "root" on a per-command basis.

Is that right?

Grenage
July 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Just to make things ever more interesting, you can also use:

sudo -i
or
sudo -s
To gain a persistent root shell.

Sudo is generally safer, and it's what I use on most of my machines.

orrymr
July 19th, 2011, 04:21 PM
When I try use su, however, I get an "Authentication failure" error...

Wim Sturkenboom
July 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM
su logs you in as the root user. So you need to provide the root password.

And in (standard setup of) Ubuntu that does not work.

On a site note:
don't use 'su' but use 'su -'; in the first case root still has the user's environment, in the second case root has the root environment.

androssofer
July 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM

the root user password is usually different to your password. sudo is elevating ur username to have root power, so requires ur password, root (su) is a seperate user and has its own password.

sudo passwd root

will allow you to change roots password to be the same as yours.. tho i would advise keeping it different from your own.

***note:** read this before changing the root password:

Grenage
July 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Because the root account is disabled in Ubuntu.

P.S: It is against forum policy to show a user how to enable the root account.

orrymr
July 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Just to make things ever more interesting, you can also use:

sudo -i
or
sudo -sTo gain a persistent root shell.

Sudo is generally safer, and it's what I use on most of my machines.

And if I want to end my root session, do I simply use the command "exit"?

This whole thing stems from a very simply script I'm trying to implement:

#!/bin/bash
#script checks if logged in as superuser.

if [ id = "0" ]; then
echo "Script run by superuser"
else
echo "Script not run by superuser"
fi
The name of the script is suScript, and whether or not I run
./suScript or
sudo ./suScript I get the same result. I guess that would be as a result of su being a completely different user, and the use of "sudo" just elevating the current user to have root power, as androssofer put it.

Grenage
July 19th, 2011, 04:34 PM
And if I want to end my root session, do I simply use the command "exit"?

This whole thing stems from a very simply script I'm trying to implement:

#!/bin/bash
#script checks if logged in as superuser.

if [ id = "0" ]; then
echo "Script run by superuser"
else
echo "Script not run by superuser"
fi
The name of the script is suScript, and whether or not I run
./suScript or
sudo ./suScript I get the same result. I guess that would be as a result of su being a completely different user, and the use of "sudo" just elevating the current user to have root power, as androssofer put it.

Correct; you aren't running as root, merely elevated permissions. The root account is disabled by default; it can be enabled, but as it's against forum rules (and not recommended), we can't mention how.

sisco311
July 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
su and sudo are two setuid root applications. Both of them allow a user to run a command or start a shell as another user.

If no user is specified, both of them default to root.

By default, sudo prompts for your user's password, while su prompts for the target user's password. In Ubuntu, the root account password is locked, hence you can't use su to become root.

`sudo -s', similar to `su', starts a root shell, but keeps some of your environment variables.

`sudo -i', similar to `su -', starts a root (login) shell with root's environment variables. (This one is the preferred method for starting a root shell.)

For a brief overview of some of the differences between su, su -, and sudo -{i,s} see unutbu's post.

`sudo COMMAND', similar to `su -c "COMMAND"' runs a single command as root.

sudo remembers your password for a brief period of time, by default in Ubuntu for 15 minutes, so you don't have to re-enter it every time you invoke it, while su will prompt for a password each time is invoked by a non-root user.

This are the main differences and similarities, I can think of right now, between the default behavior of su and sudo.

Of course, you can customize sudo via the sudoers file. You can make it to prompt the users for the root password or for the target user's password. You can specify which environment variables you want to reset or keep. You can specify which users are allowed to run commands as another user with or without a password and much more...

doas777
July 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM
@op, the most pertinent differance is that su will not work on a default ubuntu system, because it disables the root account. NEVER ENABLE ROOT UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

There are some important environment differances between escalation methods, including the location of '~'. check this out:

#----------normal----------------#
User@Lucid:~$ pwd
/home/User

#----------sudo -i --------------#
User@Lucid:~$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for User:
root@Lucid:~# pwd
/root
root@Lucid:~# exit
logout

#----------sudo -s --------------#
User@Lucid:~$ sudo -s
/home/User
exit

#----------su ------------------#
User@Lucid:~$ sudo passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully

User@Lucid:~$ su
Password:
root@Lucid:/home/User# pwd
/home/User
root@Lucid:/home/User# cd ~
/root
exit

User@Lucid:~$ sudo passwd -l root
passwd: password expiry information changed.

psusi
July 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM
P.S: It is against forum policy to show a user how to enable the root account.

No it isn't; the instructions are provided on the wiki:

Both su and sudo run a command as another user ( defaults to root ). That command may be a shell that will prompt you for more commands ( that will also be run as that user by virtue of the fact that the shell is ). The main difference between the two is that su asks for the password of the user you are switching to, but sudo normally asks for YOUR password. su defaults to running a shell if you do not specify another command to run as the other user, but sudo does not; to have it run a shell, use the -s switch.

Other differences/features include:

1) su does not prompt for a password if you are root, allowing root to switch to other users without knowing their password

2) sudo can be configured to allow specific users to only execute specific commands

3) sudo is configured by default to not prompt for your password on repeated invocations ( in the same terminal ) within a few minute time period

4) sudo can be configured not to bother prompting for your password at all, though this is not recommended

Grenage
July 19th, 2011, 05:09 PM
No it isn't; the instructions are provided on the wiki:

Interesting; has that changed reasonably recently? I was sure it was so.

sisco311
July 19th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Interesting; has that changed reasonably recently?

No, the policy is the same, although it was reworded about a year ago:

Forum policy on log-in-as-root tutorials

orrymr
July 19th, 2011, 06:15 PM
but then, regarding my script, when I sudo -i, and cd into the directory where I saved my suScript file, and run the script I get the following output:

root@orrymr-desktop:/home/orrymr/Documents/shellStuff# ./suScript
Script not run by superuser

When logged in as root, when I issue the command "id" I get the following output :

root@orrymr-desktop:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

I would have thought that, according to my script, the line "Script run by superuser" would be echoed out.

sisco311
July 19th, 2011, 06:34 PM
but then, regarding my script, when I sudo -i, and cd into the directory where I saved my suScript file, and run the script I get the following output:

root@orrymr-desktop:/home/orrymr/Documents/shellStuff# ./suScript
Script not run by superuser

When logged in as root, when I issue the command "id" I get the following output :

root@orrymr-desktop:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

I would have thought that, according to my script, the line "Script run by superuser" would be echoed out.

[ id = "0" ] is always false. The string `id' is not `0' ;)

You probably want something like:

if [ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then
echo "This script must be run as root" 1>&2
exit 1
fi

Or, in bash, you can use the EUID variable:

if (( $EUID == 0 ))
then
echo "root"
else
:
fi

orrymr
July 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Awesome - that did the trick. Thanks!

raja.genupula
July 19th, 2011, 07:37 PM
thanks for this info , to all of you

but actually everytime i use
sudo for all kind of root work

sisco311
July 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Awesome - that did the trick. Thanks!

You're welcome! Don't forget to mark this thread as [SOLVED].

Grenage
July 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM
No, the policy is the same, although it was reworded about a year ago:

Forum policy on log-in-as-root tutorials

Ah peachy, thank you. :)

doas777
July 19th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Ah peachy, thank you. :)
Yeah, I got yelled at about that one some years ago, so now I just type stuff in all caps and include a link to the rootsudo doc, just to be on the safe side.
It was primarilly one mod that gave away most infractions for that issue, and I haven't seen them around lately.

Grenage
July 19th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I got yelled at about that one some years ago, so now I just type stuff in all caps and include a link to the rootsudo doc, just to be on the safe side.
It was primarilly one mod that gave away most infractions for that issue, and I haven't seen them around lately.

Aye, that was the only reason I mentioned it; I was sure I'd seen that happen before.

wkulecz
July 21st, 2011, 02:50 PM
I don't have anything to add about Ubuntu sudo vs. su, but in the old days, RMS and others considered su to be evil because it gave control of the machine to a cabal of users who had the root password and were members of the wheel group(as in big wheel :) ).

Its largely academic now that we all pretty much own our own machines. As far as I know Ubuntu has never had the wheel group.