PDA

View Full Version : The real advantage of Ubuntu/Linux

Jacobonbuntu
July 19th, 2011, 01:19 PM
After a few months of only Linux I start to notice a huge benefit of Linux. In my “Windows-life” I was always looking for the right applications or system-additions to do operational jobs like navigating, making backups (precisely the way I wanted it), showing weather-radar and so on, in Linux more and more I start to realize you can do a lot without additional software, just by using the build-in system modules and handling and combining them with commands.
That, together with the possibilities Unity offers you to organize and make these commands available, “launch-able”, in the launcher, is something I really love in Ubuntu/Linux as it is. Even on my absolute beginners- level It gives me the feeling of freedom and control over my desktop.

What I was curious about: in what ways did you create/modify launcher -items?

el_koraco
July 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Mmmm, the Windows 7 superbar is noticeably better than the Unity Launcher at the moment, so I don't really see your point.

LowSky
July 19th, 2011, 02:37 PM
What I was curious about: in what ways did you create/modify launcher -items?

I turned off Unity. I like to the old Add to panel apps that gnome 2 has. Specifically Disk Mounter, System Monitor, and Force Quit.

drascus
July 19th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I agree I switched to Linux fully about 5 years ago. When I use windows at work now I constantly think "It would be so much easier if I could just do this." especially working in a Tech department there are some command line tools I really wish I had access to. But it's nice to get home to my comfy desktop.

BrokenKingpin
July 19th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Mmmm, the Windows 7 superbar is noticeably better than the Unity Launcher at the moment, so I don't really see your point.
The super bar in Win7 is nice, but adding DockBarX or Talika to your panel will yield the same results.

Jacobonbuntu
July 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I happen to disagree!
The Unity launcher may not be really user friendly to modify in this phase, but by editing / creating the .desktop files the possibilities are almost unlimited. One can create an easy and accessible / well-organized front-end to whatever command(s) or script(s) you can think of.
My real point however concerns the efficiency of the system "modules" - structure (I don't have a better word for it) in combination with the command-line. This way many sources can be used for multiple purposes, instead of having to install separate applications / add-ons every time.
(if anyone still knows what I mean :))
This is something I didn't even realize when I switched.

RiceMonster
July 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
The super bar in Win7 is nice, but adding DockBarX or Talika to your panel will yield the same results.

I'm going to assume they do the same pinning and grouping thing as the windows 7 superbar, but do they have jump lists?

Edit: wait, nevermind. I can see the DockBarX does.

el_koraco
July 19th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I happen to disagree!
The Unity launcher may not be really user friendly to modify in this phase, but by editing / creating the .desktop files the possibilities are almost unlimited.

There's more to it than that. The Windows bar has been in development for four or five years, and in practice for three. A lot of time to optimize its performance. All the things that Unity is starting to get, like additional animations and integration of applications, has been part of the Windows bar for a while now. The Unity Launcher might become better in time, but right now it isn't - it's inconsistent and buggy. And if we wanna nitpick, there's no need to edit anything in Windows, because a combination of a good API and developer support for three years running really shows. The same can be said for Unity vs Gnome Shell, only Unity is defeated even more heavily at that front.

Jacobonbuntu
July 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM
There's more to it than that. The Windows bar has been in development for four or five years, and in practice for three. A lot of time to optimize its performance. All the things that Unity is starting to get, like additional animations and integration of applications, has been part of the Windows bar for a while now. The Unity Launcher might become better in time, but right now it isn't - it's inconsistent and buggy. And if we wanna nitpick, there's no need to edit anything in Windows, because a combination of a good API and developer support for three years running really shows. The same can be said for Unity vs Gnome Shell, only Unity is defeated even more heavily at that front.

Ah, I see what you mean, and you will probably be right Unity is not matured as it is now. The concept however I really like; I can organize and make things accessible like I never could before, in contrast with what is often suggested. I used Windows 7 for as long as it exists until I switched.

el_koraco
July 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM
The concept is alright, but outdated. It's combining the present desktop metaphors in a time where both the other major Linux DEs, as well as the other operating systems, are redesigning them.

Canonical will have to pull a rabbit out of a hat in order to make it a viable alternative. Therein lies the major problem. The rigid design of Unity is not inviting to community development, unlike the design of KDE, Gnome Shell, or even Windows 8.

I do agree with you that the scriptability of Linux is a major advantage on Windows and OSX, though.

juancarlospaco
July 19th, 2011, 06:56 PM
launch-able in the launcher

I agree. ʘ‿ʘ

Jacobonbuntu
July 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM
The concept is alright, but outdated. It's combining the present desktop metaphors in a time where both the other major Linux DEs, as well as the other operating systems, are redesigning them.

Canonical will have to pull a rabbit out of a hat in order to make it a viable alternative. Therein lies the major problem. The rigid design of Unity is not inviting to community development, unlike the design of KDE, Gnome Shell, or even Windows 8.

I do agree with you that the scriptability of Linux is a major advantage on Windows and OSX, though.

I see. Although my Mac experience is really outdated by now (the last OSX I used on a daily base was 10.04 I believe), and I only tried KDE and Gnome 3 shortly (didn't really like it), I definitely prefer Unity to everything I have seen so far. That is a big compliment as I think Xubuntu is a jewel.
I don't know about the historical perspective of Unity, but what counts to me is that I can create my own desktop with a big variety of tasks, programs, locations and whatever you can think at a short distance, and still have a consistently looking “quiet” desktop.
I have all my “task areas” efficiently organized in separate launchers, system files made accessible in “sudo gedit-commands” -from out the launcher (fstab / cifscredentials / .desktop files etc) backup scripts under my finger tips, I made an animated weather radar- image (from the INTERNET) automatically show up in eog picture viewer, I created a Thunderbird menu to launch only the address-book, the mail application or my agenda (not only in lightning, but also available in the Sunbird -agenda in case I want to use it without being confronted with my email :)) etc, etc.
Although Unity is not mature, I never could do things like this in another OS...

The fun part is that I can take all that stuff to the next installation without having to do it again, as all is in the ~/.local/share/applications folder.
I was curious if- and how other people created their own launchers.

zer010
July 19th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Weather was mentioned and *nix definitely has the better options. Recently, I tried to find a suitable app for XP and the choices have been rather disappointing. Some of them are loaded with ads and such. Even the Weather Channel app is heavy.
Using Xubuntu, I have a clean weather readout...courtesy of the Weather Channel's data...^_^d

Jacobonbuntu
July 19th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Weather was mentioned and *nix definitely has the better options. Recently, I tried to find a suitable app for XP and the choices have been rather disappointing. Some of them are loaded with ads and such. Even the Weather Channel app is heavy.
Using Xubuntu, I have a clean weather readout...courtesy of the Weather Channel's data...^_^d

forgive me for asking, but what exactly is *nix?

vehemoth
July 20th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Unix and Unix like operating systems (linux, BSD etc).

Khakilang
July 20th, 2011, 04:58 AM
There is lot more than just interface. Like no scanning of virus, no defrag of hard disk and no registery cleaning.

Jacobonbuntu
July 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Unix and Unix like operating systems (linux, BSD etc).
ah, of course, thanks

Jacobonbuntu
July 20th, 2011, 07:13 AM
There is lot more than just interface. Like no scanning of virus, no defrag of hard disk and no registery cleaning.
I agree!
It should be: a real advantage of Ubuntu/Linux :)