PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Limited Account in Ubuntu Desktop

yameen101
July 19th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Can we create a limited user account in ubuntu like XP where user can not be able to change its networking settings (like changing IPs / enable & disable netwrok interface).

Thanks
Yameen

haqking
July 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
easiest way is go to users and groups and add a user then choose advanced settings and remove priveleges from the user.

yameen101
July 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM
But this is not included in privilege list... :(

matt_symes
July 19th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Hi

Yes it is possible as haqking suggests.

Create a user and remove them from the admin account.

Kind regards

yameen101
July 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I have created a account... but user has authority to change network settings... am i wrong? :(

matt_symes
July 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Hi

Open a terminal and type

groups <user_name>where <user_name> is the name of the new limited user account.

Copy and paste the results back here.

Kind regards

yameen101
July 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
s2@hzco:~$ groups as4
as4 : as4 adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape dip video plugdev fuse

as4 is limited user while as2 is admin account.

yameen101
July 19th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I have checked it again, now i have unchecked all privileges and the result is:

as2@hzco:~$ groups as4
as4 : as4

but still as4 has an option to edit network connections.

haqking
July 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I have checked it again, now i have unchecked all privileges and the result is:

as2@hzco:~$ groups as4
as4 : as4

but still as4 has an option to edit network connections.

login as that user and change your network.

log back in as you and you will see no changes have been made.

your first listing showed then as being in adm groupd by the way

yameen101
July 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Dear haqking,

I have now format my pc and has created two account, one is admin and the other is as2. Through admin account i have disabled all privileges of as2. The result is as under using groups commad:

as2@admin:~$ groups as2
as2 : as2

Now, icon in top panel for networking disappeared but still as2 has an option through system > Preferences > Network Connections to change IP / enable & disable wireless access point.

I want user to have no choice to change IP and DNS settings. I am not an expert in netwokring or in linux. Hope you will bear this #-o

Thanks

haqking
July 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Dear haqking,

I have now format my pc and has created two account, one is admin and the other is as2. Through admin account i have disabled all privileges of as2. The result is as under using groups commad:

as2@admin:~$ groups as2
as2 : as2

Now, icon in top panel for networking disappeared but still as2 has an option through system > Preferences > Network Connections to change IP / enable & disable wireless access point.

I want user to have no choice to change IP and DNS settings. I am not an expert in netwokring or in linux. Hope you will bear this #-o

Thanks

create the user, remove all priveleges.

If you want to prevent internet access etc then under your admin account remove the tick from available for all users for the network connectsion you have.

When that user logs in, yes they can go to network connections and start configuring a ip address etxc, however when they click apply is should say system prevents user from making changes and will ask for admin password.

try it ?

mikewhatever
July 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM
In Ubuntu, things like network, sound and desktop settings are set on per-user level. In effect, each user can choose what settings to use, but these settings will only affect that user. To override that behavior for networking, you'll probably have disable the network manager and use /etc/network/interfaces instead.

matt_symes
July 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hi

Have you looked at app armor. I believe you can lock it down using that.

Kind regards

yameen101
July 21st, 2011, 12:11 PM
In Ubuntu, things like network, sound and desktop settings are set on per-user level. In effect, each user can choose what settings to use, but these settings will only affect that user. To override that behavior for networking, you'll probably have disable the network manager and use /etc/network/interfaces instead.

How to disable network manager?

yameen101
July 22nd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Can limited account is available in other distro?
Like Linux Mint or Fedora????

rushikesh988
July 22nd, 2011, 06:48 AM
can limited account is available in other distro?
Like linux mint or fedora????
yes you can

yameen101
July 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Means this option is available in linuxmint???

mikewhatever
July 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
I think in Mint it's the same as in Ubuntu, as they use the same Gnome Network Manager. It's a trifle of terminology, but what you seem to want is to lock down an account so that it won't make any networking changes. A limited account is just that which can't make global system changes.

You can stop the Network Manager with sudo service network-manager stop.