PDA

View Full Version : Learning Prolog

natema
July 16th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm a new user (of this forum, of ubuntu, and of prolog...), then I apologize if my problems are maybe too much stupid..
I would like to learn prolog, having some good books about;
I've installed the required packages in the synaptic package manager, now I'm looking for a good IDE.
I've installed GNU Emacs and tried to follows the instructions here: www.swi-prolog.org/FAQ/GnuEmacs.html (http://www.swi-prolog.org/FAQ/GnuEmacs.html).
But I don't understand what is said in point 3 of that page: "Add the following lines to ~/.emacs (~/_emacs on Windows):";
I don't find that file anywhere, nor making a search (ctrl+F) from the fyle system.
I see in windows using there a custom swi-prolog editor with two windows, one that is the proper editor to write "facts" and the second, the "reasoner", to pose question. I would like such an editor. I've also installed Anjuta that is suggested in this thread, but don't know how to configure it.
Finally, sorry for my english (I'm italian).
Thanks everybody

Arndt
July 17th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Hi everybody,
I'm a new user (of this forum, of ubuntu, and of prolog...), then I apologize if my problems are maybe too much stupid..
I would like to learn prolog, having some good books about;
I've installed the required packages in the synaptic package manager, now I'm looking for a good IDE.
I've installed GNU Emacs and tried to follows the instructions here: www.swi-prolog.org/FAQ/GnuEmacs.html (http://www.swi-prolog.org/FAQ/GnuEmacs.html).
But I don't understand what is said in point 3 of that page: "Add the following lines to ~/.emacs (~/_emacs on Windows):";
I don't find that file anywhere, nor making a search (ctrl+F) from the fyle system.

~/.emacs is a file that Emacs reads when it starts, which is supposed to contain customizations for the user. As a new user of Emacs, you don't have one yet, but then you should just create ~/.emacs, and put the suggested lines in it.

I see in windows using there a custom swi-prolog editor with two windows, one that is the proper editor to write "facts" and the second, the "reasoner", to pose question. I would like such an editor. I've also installed Anjuta that is suggested in this thread, but don't know how to configure it.

I don't know the answer to this.

Finally, sorry for my english (I'm italian).

No problem.

Arndt
July 17th, 2011, 12:23 AM
By the way, it's better not to add questions to a very old thread (this one is more than two years), but to create a new thread, even if the subject fits.

natema
July 18th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Many thanks for every suggestion Arndt :)
I've "skipped" my problem realizing that, at the present moment, writing prolog simply in a text editor and then compiling it in the shell is not so bad... I will look for an IDE with debugger and such stuffs later :)

uRock
July 19th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Closed for Necromancy

Iowan
July 19th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Moved to a new thread and re-opened... for now. ;)