PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freeze during partition resize!

PloXyZeRO
July 19th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I'm terribly sorry, I posted this exact post in general help about 45 minutes ago. I realized that it would be more appropriate to post here. Sorry for the duplicate!

-----------

Hi. I'm having a problem. This is my first time using Ubuntu, so I don't really know much about it. I tried installing it from a DVD earlier, but it wouldn't work. Then I tried on my flash drive, still didn't work. I realized that the downloaded iso (Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit) was only 411 MB instead of 698 MB. I then tried to download it again, and it was the correct size.

I booted it off my flash drive, and tried to install. It asked how much of the HDD space I wanted to reserve for Ubuntu, I think. I can't quite remember, but I dragged it over to 30 GB. Now I realize that I don't actually need that much, oh well. I got an error, can't quite remember what it said, but then the same window came up again asking to resize the partition. There was only about 20 GB availiable this time (instead of the 320 before), I reserved 6 GB, and clicked continue. I checked back after like 3 hours and the window is white and frozen.

Is there any way I can restart my laptop and correct the issue without messing anything up? I'm not really sure what I did wrong.

If it matters, I'm installing it on an Alienware M11x laptop.
I'm not quite sure, but I think the specs are
Nvidia GeForce 335M
320 GB HDD
i5 U520M processor @ 1.07 GHz (ranked over 3.0 GHz)
Windows 7 64-bit

If there's any other information you need, just ask and I'll try to tell you. PLEASE help! Thank you in advance

lmarmisa
July 19th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Boot your laptop into an Ubuntu Live CD / USB and select Try Ubuntu.

Open Firefox and go to the page http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net

Follow the instructions of the page for downloading and running the Boot Info Script.

Finally post the results in this thread.

You will receive more help according these results.

Best regards,

Luis

PloXyZeRO
July 19th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Okay thank you! I'll try that right away. The only way I can get it to reboot though is if I shut if off manually. I hope nothing bad happens!

PloXyZeRO
July 19th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Here is the information that I got from that (Sorry, my date and time aren't correct)

Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
=> Syslinux MBR (4.04 and higher) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: Dell Utility: FAT16
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /DELLBIO.BIN /DELLRMK.BIN /COMMAND.COM

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Operating System:
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files: /Windows/System32/winload.exe /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr
/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr

sdb1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: SYSLINUX 4.04 2011-04-18
Boot sector info: Syslinux looks at sector 15262 of /dev/sdb1 for its
second stage. SYSLINUX is installed in the directory.
The integrity check of the ADV area failed. No errors
found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /syslinux/syslinux.cfg /ldlinux.sys

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 63 80,324 80,262 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 * 81,920 18,922,939 18,841,020 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda3 30,801,920 625,140,399 594,338,480 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sdb __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sdb: 2003 MB, 2003795968 bytes
32 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1941 cylinders, total 3913664 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sdb1 * 63 3,913,055 3,912,993 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/sda1 3030-3030 vfat DellUtility
/dev/sda2 30B4B895B4B85ED2 ntfs RECOVERY
/dev/sda3 1CD4BAC8D4BAA384 ntfs OS
/dev/sdb1 16FE-1152 vfat PENDRIVE

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/sda3 /media/OS fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
/dev/sdb1 /cdrom vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437, iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

=========================== sdb1/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if loadfont /boot/grub/font.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=auto
insmod efi_gop
insmod efi_uga
insmod gfxterm
terminal_output gfxterm
fi

set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray

menuentry "Try Ubuntu without installing" {
set gfxpayload=keep
linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
}
menuentry "Install Ubuntu" {
set gfxpayload=keep
linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
}
menuentry "Check disc for defects" {
set gfxpayload=keep
linux /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper integrity-check quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
}
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

========================= sdb1/syslinux/syslinux.cfg: ==========================

# D-I config version 2.0
include menu.cfg
default vesamenu.c32
prompt 0
timeout 50

# If you would like to use the new menu and be presented with the option to install or run from USB at startup, remove # from the following line. This line was commented out (by request of many) to allow the old menu to be presented and to enable booting straight into the Live Environment!
# ui gfxboot bootlogo

=================== sdb1: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

?? = ?? boot/grub/grub.cfg 1

================= sdb1: Location of files loaded by Syslinux: ==================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

?? = ?? ldlinux.sys 1
?? = ?? syslinux/gfxboot.c32 1
?? = ?? syslinux/syslinux.cfg 1
?? = ?? syslinux/vesamenu.c32 1

============== sdb1: Version of COM32(R) files used by Syslinux: ===============

syslinux/gfxboot.c32 : COM32R module (v4.xx)
syslinux/vesamenu.c32 : COM32R module (v4.xx)

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

/home/ubuntu/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh: line 1579: [: 2.73495e+09: integer expression expected

lmarmisa
July 19th, 2011, 04:23 AM
According to the results of Info Boot Script, you have installed Ubuntu using Wubi.

This video shows an example about it (sorry, I dislike its music :( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy1ISEJIv84

A specific NTFS partition was created for Ubuntu in that video. This step is optional. You can store the Ubuntu files and folders in the unit "C:" if you want.

This other video shows how to boot into Ubuntu using Wubi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVaNl5a9D0

I am not sure if your Ubuntu Wubi installation was successful or not. Please, give us more information if you need help.

Best regards,

Luis

lmarmisa
July 19th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Another video about Ubuntu and Wubi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW1V6TuZZmc

This video shows not only how to install and use it but also how to unistall Ubuntu with Wubi in the case you need to do that.