PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry Pi, nice incoming product, bad employee?

Pierrick584
July 19th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Here's a litle funny story. i were reading about this new 25$ linux computer that is gonna get released soon, now, first though, making a lab of it for various test! how great it will be, so i were wondering... Managing to keep these 20~ computers open, might be painfull, oh! maybe it does support Wake-on-LAN? so i decided to mail to info@raspberrypi.org and ask them if the bios will support this feature, here's the mail conversation...

Pierrick Charlebois to info

Hi there, i were wondering if the bios would have a wake-on-lan feature,
or anything that could help me to make sure it would keep a close 100%
uptime, maybe an optional feature that auto power-on when power is
plugged?

Wondering beacause i definitively wait that to build a testing lab at my
home with these, might be a pain to manage to power-on 20~ of them all
the time

Eben Upton to me

Hi Pierrick
We're not expecting to implement wait-on-LAN in the first interest,
but our quiescent power consumption is only a few hundred mW
(comparable to the wait-on-LAN consumption of a lot of other devices),
so you may be able to power 20 of them pretty easily.

Cheers
Eben

Pierrick Charlebois to Eben

Uh I think you missunderstood me, I said WAKE on lan, ability to boot the computer from distance, I do not care at all about how much power it consume

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifEben Upton to me

Well, I'd expect you could keep the machine booted, listening to the
LAN for less power than most platforms would consume in the
wait-on-LAN state.

Cheers
Eben

Pierrick Charlebois to Eben

Ok uh... how could i explain that.... I DO NOT TALK ABOUT ENERGY CONSUMPTION AT ALL. i am talking about WAKING THE **** UP VIA THE LOCAL AREA NETWORK.

Here's some info about this feature, i hope you'll learn something out of it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

And this could also be usefull to know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS- Show quoted text -

Eben Upton to me

You really are tiresome. Don't mail me again.

E

I believe their 25$ computer is achieved by hiring incompetent people who do not know anything about computers : \ isint it pathetic?

Dustin2128
July 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Sad, eh? I still plan on buying at least 10 or 20 when they come out. But don't worry too much of it- tech support usually universally sucks. See this (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/customer_service).

Pierrick584
July 19th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Oh i will definitively buy a **** load of them too... i just wish i could get an answer about the wake-on-lan... anyway thats unlikely as it doesnt even have a network interface built in

Dustin2128
July 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I'm fairly sure you or anyone else will be able to work something out for wake on LAN, I'm guessing that these things will be quite configurable.

unknownPoster
July 19th, 2011, 06:55 AM
The tone of your last email is agressive and rude to be honest.

If I were him, I would have replied in the same way.

vehemoth
July 19th, 2011, 07:15 AM
If you were him you probably would of read his email correctly

unknownPoster
July 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM
If you were him you probably would of read his email correctly

Still doesn't excuse cursing or responding in all capital letters.

Legendary_Bibo
July 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Maybe you should proof read your email next time.

http://fim.413chan.net/art/src/131042024076-Just_Saiyan.jpg

Dustin2128
July 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Off topic bibo, but about your sig, 6/14 is hardly a new comic. Especially not with *asterisks*.

Legendary_Bibo
July 19th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Off topic bibo, but about your sig, 6/14 is hardly a new comic. Especially not with *asterisks*.

My main monitor I use is broken (colors are completely messed up) so I've been trying to find time to go find a box to put it in and ship it for repairs. So its kind of put things on hold for me (I'm probably going to move my laptop out to a places that has room so I can make something new).

Yeah you're right, I should go remove that.

Dustin2128
July 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Ah, sorry about that, hope you can get it fixed. It's just that I thought for a second that you had a new comic, your comics are usually pretty good.
</offtopic threadjacking>

KiwiNZ
July 19th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Here's a litle funny story. i were reading about this new 25$ linux computer that is gonna get released soon, now, first though, making a lab of it for various test! how great it will be, so i were wondering... Managing to keep these 20~ computers open, might be painfull, oh! maybe it does support Wake-on-LAN? so i decided to mail to info@raspberrypi.org and ask them if the bios will support this feature, here's the mail conversation...

I believe their 25$ computer is achieved by hiring incompetent people who do not know anything about computers : \ isint it pathetic?

Your email was misleading and I can understand the support techs confusion. Also, support staff are not paid to and are not required to accept rude and obscene communications from customers. The support staff member was right to cut you off. Learn some manners and learn some patience.

vehemoth
July 19th, 2011, 10:08 AM
What is "wait on lan" or what's it meant to be. I could find no hint of any such feature existing on any computer. I'm sure both parties are in the wrong and it doesn't excuse either.

nomis_
July 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM
What is "wait on lan" or what's it meant to be. I could find no hint of any such feature existing on any computer. I'm sure both parties are in the wrong and it doesn't excuse either.

Nitpicking terminology aside it was pretty clear what he wanted to say. So the OP's reaction was totally inappropriate.

Spice Weasel
July 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Send rude email to customer service
Receive response
Post on Ubuntu Forums
Complain about response
???
Profit!

wirepuller134
July 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
The way I took his first response was, no they are not going to implement wake on lan because they see no reason to as the unit booted pulls less power than other units in that state. Each feature they put into the units adds cost to develop and support, so I would imagine that would be a factor also.

Tristam Green
July 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM
OP must be a charm to talk to in dinner conversations.

RiceMonster
July 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
OP must be a charm to talk to in dinner conversations.

Mom: Would you like a glass of milk?
Pierrick584: No, give me water. Now.
Mom: Pardon me? I didn't quite hear you.
Pierrick584: I'M TALKING ABOUT ****ING WATER FOR CHRIST'S SAKE LOOK IT UP ON WIKIPEDIA!!!

Pierrick584
July 19th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Lawl, you guys are funny, obiviously i get pissed after a few time the dude answer me with non-sence answer totally not related to what i asked, so i'm obiviously an *******, right?

As someone said in this topic, if he would be able to read my mails correctly, and know something about computer, i would had my answer and everyone would be happy, obiviously the topic were not realy about the "dont mail me anymore" much more the fact he cant read my question, and then when (even though it was in an agressive way) i actualy tried to learn him what i'm talking about, he just prolly dint even check the link and keep't figuring i'm asking about how my electricity bill will go up with these things in my wardrobe, beacause, i totally care about my electricity bill... /sarcasm

forrestcupp
July 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
The tone of your last email is agressive and rude to be honest.

If I were him, I would have replied in the same way.I agree.

The way I took his first response was, no they are not going to implement wake on lan because they see no reason to as the unit booted pulls less power than other units in that state. Each feature they put into the units adds cost to develop and support, so I would imagine that would be a factor also.This is exactly what I thought. He may have understood what you were asking. But you got angry with him instead of listening to what he was saying. He was telling you that because of the extremely low power consumption, there is no need for it to ever be "asleep" and need to wake on LAN. There's no need for it to sleep or hibernate, so there's no need for a wake on LAN option.

Spice Weasel
July 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Lawl, you guys are funny, obiviously i get pissed after a few time the dude answer me with non-sence answer totally not related to what i asked, so i'm obiviously an *******, right?

Yes. You are, and this post proves it.

nomis_
July 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM

As someone said in this topic, if he would be able to read my mails correctly, and know something about computer, i would had my answer and everyone would be happy, obiviously the topic were not realy about the "dont mail me anymore" much more the fact he cant read my question, and then when (even though it was in an agressive way) i actualy tried to learn him what i'm talking about, he just prolly dint even check the link and keep't figuring i'm asking about how my electricity bill will go up with these things in my wardrobe, beacause, i totally care about my electricity bill... /sarcasm

I think you got that whole understanding thing reversed here. He obviously understood what you wanted and gave you the correct answer. (which was no, they don't support it because it is pointless for a device that draws so little power anyway).

You totally flipped out because he did not use the correct terminology and answered with an elitist and rude attitude.

undecim
July 19th, 2011, 06:37 PM

At first, I thought this was a non-OP poster mocking OP....

It seems to me that the tech support guy was not a native English speaker, and OP finds that unacceptable.

Pierrick584, grow up and learn some patience. Your last email was condescending and rude, and it seems that you didn't even make an effort to understand what the tech was saying. If you had, you would realized that the point of WoL is to reduce power consumption, and it would take MORE power to implement a WoL than the device takes to run. Instead, you decided to get upset over him using the wrong word.

KiwiNZ
July 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
@Pierrick584
To paraphrase the tech support... 'You really are tiresome, don't post in this thread again'

Thread closed