PDA

View Full Version : Rooting the HTC Inspire 4G

jcolyn
July 19th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I am considering having my AT&T HTC Inspire 4G rooted so I can get rid of the extra apps placed their by AT&T that I don't use

I don't know how to do it myself so I would have to have someone else do it. How do I determine whether the person knows what he is doing and is not about to destroy my phone and will the phone be able to update when new versions of the OS are released?

Can my apps that I have paid for be replaced without have to buy them again?

LowSky
July 19th, 2011, 12:51 AM
XDA is the website to look at. There forums are all about rooting phone and tablets.

mamamia88
July 19th, 2011, 02:28 AM
i did mine on windows with an app called simple root made just for the inspire. as the name implies it was super simple. don't pay someone else to do it for you if you can follow directions you can do it

jcolyn
July 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
i did mine on windows with an app called simple root made just for the inspire. as the name implies it was super simple. don't pay someone else to do it for you if you can follow directions you can do it

I don't use Windows and would rather not do it myself..

My main question is will I have to re-purchase the apps I have already bought from the Google app market?

Cybie257
July 19th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Unless the rooting messes things up and deletes your apps, they should all remain there.

Also, if you have your phone set to sync/backup your apps, they should all reappear when you factory reset your phone, if necessary. But, be aware, rooting your phones voids warranty. You 'can' get around this, but you have to be assured your are able to UNroot your phone and have all the factory apps on it. If the apps are gone, they know you rooted it. At that point, unless you changed the kernel or OS, it will appear as if it hadn't been rooted and that is all going to depend on the exact things you do after rooting. But, don't count on UnRooting to being back to factory. FULL BACKUP! Prior too, or right after Rooting.

It's always a risky thing to do because you can end up with a 'brick', meaning nothing more than a paperweight after an error and no way to fix it. At least no 'easy' way....

I would suggest making a FULL backup of your phone, which may require it to be rooted, PRIOR to any deleting of factory apps.

-Cybie

Lucradia
July 19th, 2011, 03:30 AM
XDA is the website to look at. There forums are all about rooting phone and tablets.

The Droid X2 can't even be unlocked anymore by a consumer, which sucks. Did they find a way yet though?

mamamia88
July 19th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I don't use Windows and would rather not do it myself..

My main question is will I have to re-purchase the apps I have already bought from the Google app market?

you don't have to repurchase apps. you can back them up with different apps and restore them or just redownload them when you flash a custom rom. i use cm7 on my inspire and it's awesome. but seriously if you can get access to a windows machine it's really simple. i did mine going back up and down the stairs during the commercials of a sporting event.

jcolyn
July 20th, 2011, 12:47 AM
you don't have to repurchase apps. you can back them up with different apps and restore them or just redownload them when you flash a custom rom. i use cm7 on my inspire and it's awesome. but seriously if you can get access to a windows machine it's really simple. i did mine going back up and down the stairs during the commercials of a sporting event.

Personally I don't feel comfortable doing it myself even though it looks easy enough. In addition I don't do Windows and have not had a Windows machine in years..

So I would rather have someone do it that has done it before and knows what he is doing..

mamamia88
July 20th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Personally I don't feel comfortable doing it myself even though it looks easy enough. In addition I don't do Windows and have not had a Windows machine in years..

So I would rather have someone do it that has done it before and knows what he is doing..

fair enough.

3rdalbum
July 20th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Android Market works through your Google account - so anything you buy is noted in your Google account.

If you wiped all your data or bought a new phone, as long as you set it up to use your Google account you'll be able to redownload programs that you've bought, without having to pay for them again.

For some phones, rooting is really easy. For my HTC Desire I just had to connect it (it was already in USB debug mode because I use App Inventor) and run a program on the computer that's handily available for Linux, Mac and Windows. A few phone reboots later, it was rooted.