PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Icons not minimizing to the "Activities Bar"

josealejandro93
July 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hello, I've been searching all arround for a similar problem but I can't find the anwer, maybe I'm not even searching for the right panel 'cause I don't even know how it's named.
My problem is as follows. I installed gnome 3 and wa susing it for a bit, everything worked like a charm but suddenly while playing music with Banshee 2.0 I found out that the option to control it via the sound icon on the top rigt of the screen was not working. It dissapeared as my Evolution icon (The envelope) and the "Gwibber" app. So, when I log into this services and press the "X" button to close it, the only way to fix it is to open it through the notification area at the bottom.
I was wondering if I could fix this.
Thank you very much for your support.

P.S I tried to fix it re-installing gnome 3 but that didn't do. And my Banshee has enabled the option to "Integrate to the sound menu" Or something like that. I'm posting a cap to my problem.
(Sorry It's in spanish)

Using Gnome 3 in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwall ) x64

sanderd17
July 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
The problem is that the sound menu is an Ubuntu option. Gnome Shell is not supported by Ubuntu (some users only hacked their way to it) so the Ubuntu only features aren't working yet.

You should also tell your installation method. Did you add the gnome PPA, did you do a jhbuild or did you install it with the gNatty live CD?

btw, the icons on the top are called the "status icons", the icons that appear on the bottom are "notification icons" so they have a different purpose.

This extension gives you a similar functionality: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/soundmenu-like-gnome-shell-extension.html

And everything should work out of the box in 11.10.

josealejandro93
July 18th, 2011, 03:07 PM
OMG, Thank you so much. I'm totally an Ubuntu noob but I really want to learn. As I see I think that what I should do right now is going back to Unity :/.

To Install Gnome-Shell I used the PPA from Gnome Team :)

Thnk you so much for your help.

P.S. I'll be updating this to "Solved" once I go back to Unity and see if everything is ok.

sanderd17
July 18th, 2011, 03:32 PM
No problem.

You will see that there's a little fight between canonical (the makers of Ubuntu) and the Gnome team. The ones that want to use Gnome Shell with Ubuntu are the victims of that fight.

josealejandro93
July 18th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Just as you said sanderd17 I'm back to unity and there are the icons/options I wanted. I'll wait 'till 11.10 to try Gnome 3..

I'm so happy to be a part of such a helpfull comunity. Thank you!