PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.04 no way I can install it

darko.baruh
July 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I have tried kubuntu 11.04 and ubuntu 11.04 both 32 and 64-bit and all the time it freezes on installation. The live usb runs without problem and I even deleted the partitions and made one unlocated partition and again tried to install but with no success. I tired clean install. I just want ubuntu without windows.

My machine is:

Acer aspire one 722

11,6" - 1366 x 768
AMD Dual-Core C-50
AMD Radeon HD 6250
2GB DDR3
250GB HDD
and I think that wireless is broadcom

Please help.

dino99
July 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM
some googling may help:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/46348/i-cant-install-on-acer-aspire-one-722

http://bigbrovar.aoizora.org/index.php/2011/04/30/turning-wireless-on-causes-laptop-to-freeze-on-ubuntu-11-04-natty-narwhal-my-work-around/

Blasphemist
July 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM
At what point in the installation does it hang? I think that's the best place to start. I don't see anything wrong with your hardware specs.

darko.baruh
July 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Thank dino99, the second solution can help, but the problem is I don't understand nothing because I'am new to linux. I started to try ubuntu 2 years ago and every time when I install some version I get problems, with my toshiba,then qompaq, then another toshiba laptop and now acer. I am trying to get off windows and every time something like this problem makes me to go back to windows.

Blasphemist the freezing is random, it can be at the beginning,middle, end. I think is the broadcom driver like the situation in the second link that dino99 provided.
But the problem with my laptop is that I can't turn off the wireless in bios because I dont have the option to turn of nothing.

collisionystm
July 18th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I have tried kubuntu 11.04 and ubuntu 11.04 both 32 and 64-bit and all the time it freezes on installation. The live usb runs without problem and I even deleted the partitions and made one unlocated partition and again tried to install but with no success. I tired clean install. I just want ubuntu without windows.

My machine is:

Acer aspire one 722

11,6" - 1366 x 768
AMD Dual-Core C-50
AMD Radeon HD 6250
2GB DDR3
250GB HDD
and I think that wireless is broadcom

Please help.

I just installed on an Aspire-One the other day. Worked great. DId it from a USB.

What exactly is happening? You are a bit vague...

darko.baruh
July 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I dont know what is happening. You say that it works great on your machine. What type of wirelles you have? I think the problem is broadcom driver. But I dont know from where to start and how to fix this.

CBMCO
July 18th, 2011, 09:32 PM
For an Acer Aspire One AO722: Go to your BIOS and under the BOOT page, move "Network Boot" to the top position. You'll geta quick error during boot but this prevents Ubuntu 11.04 from freezing at all. You'll get a quick error during boot and your wifi indicator light won't work but at least the system won't crash. I'm still trying to get the internal microphone to work on my Aspire One AO722.....

darko.baruh
July 18th, 2011, 09:35 PM
This way with "Network boot" when I install ubuntu the wireless will work?

darko.baruh
July 18th, 2011, 10:05 PM
This moment I managed to install ubuntu 11.04 the way that CBMCO told me "bios first boot to be Network boot". The instalation went without problems and now at this moment I am downloading updates from the wireless network.So the wireless works and light for the wireless doesnt work but not big deal at all. I didn't tested further but soon when the update finishes I will test everything including the mic. So today I will give more info about how the netbook and ubuntu behaves.
Thanks to all.

darko.baruh
July 18th, 2011, 10:39 PM
CBMCO, should I install aditional driver for broadcom STA or it will make the netbook freeze again?

skycat561
July 19th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I just got this same machine, I created the bootable USB, but when I restart I see a message saying "Multiple Active Partitions" when it tries to boot from the USB then it just starts windows normally. Any Suggestions?

CBMCO
July 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I just got this same machine, I created the bootable USB, but when I restart I see a message saying "Multiple Active Partitions" when it tries to boot from the USB then it just starts windows normally. Any Suggestions?

It sounds like a problem with the USB, which method did you use to create it?

As for installing the proprietary wireless drivers, I didn't since the default drivers work fine (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Another issue that I have is that if I install the proprietary ATI drivers then the display won't come back to life after a suspend (by closing the lid). It's an awesome little netbook, but it's a shame how bad its hardware is supported under Linux.

darko.baruh
July 21st, 2011, 11:34 PM
CBMCO did you manage to fix the problem with ATI drivers? Without them the graphic is not so good. So I was hoping that you manage to install them and that you did fix the suspend problem.

zzarko
July 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Darko,

For now, suspend doesn't work with Catalyst drivers. If you want suspens, you'll need to stick with open source drivers. Additionally, if you are interested, I have a collection of tips for Ubuntu on 722 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1811178