PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] update problems

primeirocrime
March 4th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I've intalled Ubuntu Hoary today

first I had prblems in the install where the installer searches for the repositories and hangs at half, like it couldn't download anything. So I had to re-install without Internet.
I'm using a Router/modem conected to a realtek gigabit NIC. I have another PC conected to the web, running XP and a Live CDs - ubuntu, knoppix, DyneBolic.

I can use the web after install, but not during the install process or else it will hang.
I've also had issues with IPv6 but did all the things and nothing improved except the disabling of ipv6 in about:config in firefox.

when I try to use Synaptic to update or change :

synaptic

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_restricted_b inary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_universe_bin ary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/multiverse Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_multiverse_b inary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

apt-get

root@ubuntu:/home/mongrel # apt-get update
Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 5.04 _Hoary Hedgehog_ - Alpha i386 Binary-1 (20050204) unstab le Release.gpg
Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 5.04 _Hoary Hedgehog_ - Alpha i386 Binary-1 (20050204) unstab le Release
66% [Connecting to archive.ubuntu.com (1.0.0.0)]

then it freezes..
I must state that I was a previous FC3 user and had the same issues when I changed to the router/modem ethernet thing, I was previously connected through speedtouch 330 usb and I used synaptic in fedora with no problems.

the router is configured through DHCP and It has firewall. Id this a case of inserting a port forwarding rule in the router??? if so what are the ports used by synaptic/apt-get? or is this the IPv6 issue???

ifconfig

mongrel@ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:FC:EB:D4:DD
inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::250:fcff:feeb:d4dd/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1542 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1747 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:781772 (763.4 KiB) TX bytes:266114 (259.8 KiB)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xf00

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:29575 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:29575 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2392205 (2.2 MiB) TX bytes:2392205 (2.2 MiB)

please help this poor guy that really likes ubuntu so I can update-

primeirocrime
March 4th, 2005, 09:03 PM
and I've just tried DMZ rule on the firewall, and that didn't help...what is happening here? this is really strange.

[edit]

everything was fixed once I introduced the nameservers from the ISP on

/etc/ resolv.conf and comented out the routers nameserver that clinged on by default. also I disabled Ipv6 in firefox and in gnome.

all is well here.
:-\"

djmaxmalta
April 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
hey all i am running gutsy gibbin and i got this message on updates adremove etc...

Software index is broken

It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal to fix this issue at first.

i done the sudo and synaptic and this what came

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

and i do it in terminal and this came

dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege

so what do i doo?

SnakeHips
April 15th, 2008, 10:25 PM
sudo dpkg --configure -a ?

djmaxmalta
April 16th, 2008, 11:25 AM
:lolflag: that is a command that should run something and most probebly fix it but as usal there aint a linux for dummies book out yet and if there is it hasn't come in front of me!

SnakeHips
April 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
have you tried

sudo apt-get update