PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music

curuxz
May 22nd, 2006, 10:18 PM
I have spent the last 2 hours sat in the dark listening to Michael Nyman, I am and always have been a great lover of music, so many kinds I even play guitar and write songs my self but classical has always held a special place in my heart as its the only music that truly feels free.

My reason for posting is im intrested as to how many others here love classical, bare in mind im 19 years old and at university and love many types of music but despite my age I have always loved classical am i werid or as a group of suprior interlects do you all also listen to what is considered 'smarter' music.

meng
May 22nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Classical is my preference. I play the violin myself, so I prefer instrumental music especially strings.

christhemonkey
May 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
I also love classical music (although more specifically late romantic music is great)

But then again i am also a musician, any other french horn players on this forum?!

Engnome
May 22nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
I dont like lissening to classical music but playing it is just so... relaxing... rewarding... :)

ComplexNumber
May 22nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
i love classical music too, provided that no brass instruments are used. i really loathe the sound of brass instruments, especially when more than 1 is used. it makes the music grating. i love classical music with strings and woodwinds. songs such as air on a g strings by bacha and adaggio by samual barber.

drl
May 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Hi.

I think you are in a large cohort. I recall studies at the University of Minnesota showing a close relationship between music and computer programming. However, my talents apparently are elsewhere, since I have tried, but cannot play any instrument. I was raised Lutheran, so I have a deep appreciation for choral music, and especially JS Bach (or, as I like to remind my Catholic-raised wife, the Lutheran Bach).

I try to collect fifth symphonies because I think that by five, the composer should know where he's going -- too bad for us that Brahms only got to four.

Lately I have been listening to string quartets. My wife (again! how she intrudes!) hates it when I listen to Philip Glass, but how good he is to program by :) .

Good listening ... cheers, drl

ComplexNumber
May 23rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
I recall studies at the University of Minnesota showing a close relationship between music and computer programming. thats been known for years. many savvy employers looks for an interest in and appreciation of both music and languages when selecting computer programmers. its because it points to left hemisphere dominance....or at least one thats well developed.

Super King
May 23rd, 2006, 01:40 AM
I love Classical & Baroque as well, particularly brass chamber music (I play trumpet in a brass quintet, maybe that's where this love comes from :)).

bluevoodoo1
May 23rd, 2006, 01:44 AM
My wife hates it when I listen to Philip Glass, but how good he is to program by :)

I enjoy his works too!

<----- classical guitarist

polo_step
May 23rd, 2006, 05:01 AM
I'm a great admirer of opera.

Once you understand the immense difficulties and accomplishments attendant to opera, all other music (including much classical) appears utterly trivial.

fuscia
May 23rd, 2006, 05:05 AM
I'm a great admirer of opera.

Once you understand the immense difficulties and accomplishments attendant to opera, all other music (including much classical) appears utterly trivial.

until you make the mistake of translating one.

apple_and _linux
October 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I love classical! Mostly piano, though- and I can't stand opera! I like piano concertos, piano sonatas, piano etudes... etc. Other instruments are nice though- my brother plays the :-({|=, another brother plays the trombone, and a sister is working on... some woodwind, can't remember the name. Bigger than a flute, smaller than an oboe. I play the piano- I prefer Chopin and Rachmaninoff. (AKA the Rach :D)
Nice to hear that so many people enjoy classical as well- I thought I was one weird geek!