PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Beginner Dual Boot question

perryvillelax93
July 18th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I just recently found interest in Ubuntu, so I'm going to dual boot it alongside Windows Vista. Everything is working fine so far, but I just had a few questions before continuing.

When installing it asks what files you would like to import, is it required that you transfer them at this point or can it be accomplished in the future after finishing installation?

My second question is about how the import works. If I import my music, documents, etc from Vista, will it take up space on the partition I set aside for Ubuntu, or will it share the files between the two OS? I am asking because I am limited on a 160 GB HDD and wouldn't have the space to store two copies of my music library in both Vista and Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance.

ManualSparrow
July 18th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Ubuntu is able to access your Windows partition, so you shouldn't need to use that option unless you want to import your user setting for Firefox, etc. But remember that Windows can't "see" the ext4 partition you will use for Linux, so be sure to keep your documents, etc. on the Windows side if you don't create a separate partition for them.

perryvillelax93
July 18th, 2011, 02:46 AM
So I will still be able to listen to music, read documents, edit pictures, etc from Windows I just can't move them to Ubuntu or else Windows won't be able to find the file correct?