PDA

View Full Version : Empathy vs Pidgin vs ?

fontis
July 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Heyo!
Well it's been a while since the switch from Pidgin to Empathy, so I thought it's time ask how many of you actually use Empathy, or have returned to Pidgin, or use anything else.

So, please do elaborate on your choice, and why!

I use empathy, although I'm a bit puzzled and do feel like "something" is missing. So I keep pending back and forth between Empathy and Pidgin.

LowSky
July 17th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Empathy was supposed to be a cure all and have faster development than pidgin, but it never happened like the devs said.

For me Pidgin works better has much more personal options and works great with every service I log in with, Empathy has times when it bugs out and wont let me log in for some reason.

haqking
July 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Empathy was supposed to be a cure all and have faster development than pidgin, but it never happened like the devs said.

For me Pidgin works better has much more personal options and works great with every service I log in with, Empathy has times when it bugs out and wont let me log in for some reason.

+1

Pidgin all the way. Lots of options, works great with lots of different protocols including skype and works flawlessly for me all the time.

Shpongle
July 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM
pidgin on gnome and kopete on kde

Gremlinzzz
July 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
The birds the word pidgin:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDbwe_C1-Ss

Tibuda
July 17th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Pidgin

half-life
July 18th, 2011, 01:04 AM
emesene, for msn

akand074
July 18th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I used to use Emesene. Then I moved to Empathy when I first started using gnome-shell during alpha stages for the notification feature (not sure if you can set other IM clients with that system). But once I went back to Unity I just stuck with it. I kind of like it to be honest. I mean it's got very little features and it's buggy sometimes but it's nice and simple and clean. I just sign on and chat and not worry about anything else. Can't even change my font!

weasel fierce
July 18th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Empathy worked decently, as did Pidgin. I guess I didnt feel a huge advantage to one over the other.

Nowadays, I use Kopete since its included in Kubuntu

buddyd16
July 18th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Pidgin

My main problem with empathy is my AIM buddies who one way or another linked their cell phone number to their username. In Pidgin those buddies show up as mobile when they are not signed in via an IM application but in Empathy they just show up online which for a large chunk of them results in a text message charge when I instant message them.

ve4cib
July 18th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I started off using Gaim, followed that project to Pidgin (since they're the same thing, just before and after the name-change), and have just stuck with it ever since. I haven't run into any issues with it. I don't use video chat, so the fact that that feature is largely missing from Pidgin doesn't affect me.

I've tried Empathy a few times, and I could probably get used to it. But Pidgin serves my needs. Plus I can copy-and-paste the same config files between Linux and Windows (since I use Pidgin there too).

ScionicSpectre
July 18th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Most of the features libpurple has that telepathy hasn't really taken advantage of yet aren't necessary for me, and Empathy has far better integration with GNOME 3, my primary desktop environment.

So I use Empathy. I also use it because I believe telepathy is a great project that could provide a very good base for communications in the future. It's still in its beginning stages, really- it just needs a little work on the essentials (video/audio/file transfers). Aside from that, it's good enough for my uses, and it supports Adium themes on 64-bit. :D

I guess my needs from an IM are far different from most people who use Pidgin, although it used to be my primary chat application. I just don't see a lot that either program doesn't do well. For me, arguing Pidgin vs. Empathy is a lot like arguing Firefox vs. Chromium (if you forget about the privacy issues).

Dobbie03
July 18th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I use Pidgin, always have. Only problem I have is that custom emoticons from other people in my chat dont show up. They just show as a black square with a red diagonal line through them.