PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 10.10 has replaced Lubuntu with Ubuntu

cg2916
July 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Last night, I upgraded my Lubuntu machine to 10.10. However, when I started it up, it has become regular Ubuntu. I have an old laptop (which is why I put Lubuntu on it), and whenever I log in, it doesn't do anything and I can't do anything other than go to a tty.

Is there any way to fix this other than reinstallation (which is my Plan B)?

srisharan
July 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Go to synaptic package manager and install lubuntu desktop environment

snowpine
July 17th, 2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelxde

cg2916
July 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelxde

I actually meant 11.10, wow I messed up.

srisharan
July 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM
As I have previously said install the complete lubuntu desktop from synaptic.If you want you can also remove the ubuntu desktop

cg2916
July 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
As I have previously said install the complete lubuntu desktop from synaptic.If you want you can also remove the ubuntu desktop

Apparently Ubuntu is not installed and Lubuntu is still there. It just said it was Ubuntu.

My main problem is that X Window server or Xorg or whatever does not start correctly. When I run startx or xinit, it says it's already running on Display 0.

It is worth noting that I installed lightdm instead of lxdm when I upgraded.

DannyDroid
July 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
As you've installed 11.10 - you are currently running Alpha software. You could install the Lubuntu 11.04 but once again, you will be running Alpha software.

I recommend you reinstall Lubuntu 11.04 as a downgrade isn't a good idea (nor possible?) but if you wish to carry on using 11.10 then you can install Lubuntu 11.10 from the recovery console using the following;

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop.

I assume you did this in the terminal; sudo do-release-upgrade -d
The -d means upgrading to the latest unstable.

[Someone, please correct me if I am wrong, I'm still kinda new to Linux]

cg2916
July 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
As you've installed 11.10 - you are currently running Alpha software. You could install the Lubuntu 11.04 but once again, you will be running Alpha software.

I recommend you reinstall Lubuntu 11.04 as a downgrade isn't a good idea (nor possible?) but if you wish to carry on using 11.10 then you can install Lubuntu 11.10 from the recovery console using the following;

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop.

I assume you did this in the terminal; sudo do-release-upgrade -d
The -d means upgrading to the latest unstable.

[Someone, please correct me if I am wrong, I'm still kinda new to Linux]

Lubuntu is on there, but the X Windows Manager is not. I did sudo update-manager -d

haresear
July 18th, 2011, 02:37 AM

I've was playing with the Xubuntu 11.10 daily builds, and noticed that when lightdm became the display manager, the GUI desktop would no longer come up (black screen). I was able to get 'startx' to work if I stopped lighdm first with 'sudo stop lightdm'.

There is a thread in the "Ubuntu +1 (Oneiric Ocelot)" group that has a solution for getting lightdm to work. It involves editing the lightdm.conf file to delete or comment out the lines starting with "default-user" and "default-session". Sorry, I can't now recall exactly where the lightdm.conf file is located.

mastablasta
July 18th, 2011, 06:48 AM

try

sudo lightdm

mine also doesn't start (lubuntu 11.04, live session) and i have to manually load it by using sudo lxdm.

cg2916
July 18th, 2011, 06:52 AM
try

sudo lightdm

mine also doesn't start (lubuntu 11.04, live session) and i have to manually load it by using sudo lxdm.

It says lightdm is already running, but I'll try lxdm.

cg2916
July 18th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I used sudo start lxdm, and it started, but nothing happened.