PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Enters the Computer service game

coffee412
July 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Some of you already have heard about it but comcast has decided to jump into the computer repair business. They are offering this service as a flat monthly fee and then partnering thru a company called support.com.

On craigslist recently in the support section for jobs they have ads running to hire "work from home" techs. The hiring is thru support.com.

So, I ask the community of what you think? I repair systems for a living and can see this being either good or bad. Will this further push out the small business repair shops? Or will comcast become another geek squad that the small businesses will have to clean up after? Are you desperate enough in these bad times to apply to the job offers?

relevent link:

http://m2m.tmcnet.com/news/2011/07/16/5640065.htm
My opinion is based on past performance. I see comcast becoming the next geek squad.

What say you?

LowSky
July 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Well its great for a down economy that someone is creating jobs.

pimentel28
July 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Eh. Another Geek Squad, but at least someone is hiring, which is a plus in this economy. But considering that most job gains are still in the private sector, and that the government is still losing a LOT of jobs, it probably won't make a huge dent.

About it driving the small business repair shops out of business, I haven't seen one in ages!

In my opinion people tend to pay ridiculous prices for something that they could have found out via a Google search.

I'm 14, and I'm not working (yet..), and no, I would not apply. Mostly an entrepreneur kind-of-person. :D

Anyway, Cox Communications has been offering tech support. Not much business actually, from what I've heard.