PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Was told it can't run unity

meetoblivion
July 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have a dell xp l502x which has decent specs I would say

1gb nvidia video
8gb 1333mhz ram

I installed ubuntu for the first time in a few years on this laptop and all went well. However, the first time i went to log in it told me that I had insufficient hardware to run unity. I found this quite odd. I think it's a driver problem, but are there other requirements I need hardware wise to run unity?

LtdEdFred
July 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Your hardware definitely should have no problems running Unity, but I've heard that some graphics adapters doesn't have the required drivers to make it run.

Lars Noodén
July 17th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I sometimes get the same error (https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/787974), but can still run Unity anyway. Give it a try. It probably works in spite of the error message.

meetoblivion
July 17th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Well, at least in my case, I do not have the option to run unity in the login window. Is there a way to reenable it?

wojox
July 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Have you downloaded and activated the nvidia driver from Additional Drivers?

meetoblivion
July 18th, 2011, 02:59 AM
It says it's there.

wojox
July 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM
It says it's there.

Is it activated as well?

thierrym89
July 18th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I was told the same thing. After I installed my graphic card drivers, it actually went to unity by itself. If you want to choose between GNOME and unity, it's done on the login screen. When you click on the user you want to log in with, before you enter your password, there is a list at the bottom of the screen when you can choose between many options, including "Ubuntu" and "Ubuntu classic". Ubuntu will use unity and Ubuntu classic will use GNOME.