PDA

View Full Version : GNU GRUB 1.99 will not align on monitor

empbac
July 17th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit and now am able to access it, my Windows 7, and my Windows Vista OS's from the GRUB boot loader. My only problem now is that the boot loader menu is off-center -- pushed rather far to the left. I played with my monitor settings (Dell E198WFP LCD), but I'm still unable to see the left portion, making many of the commands listed on that side unreadable, as well as (I can only assume) the blinking cursor where I would write commands after hitting 'e' (and then F2, if I recall). There is a vertical line and a large gap to the right of the menu. When I position manually I get about another inch and can see the "ws 7" part of Windows 7 and so on down the line, which is enough to select an OS and boot up, but my functionality is still cut because I can't see a good chunk of the screen; plus it just looks ugly and I can't see the command prompt. I'm new to Linux, and tried searching for known issues and fixes, but haven't found anything, so I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance. I either want to center the program on the screen or replace it with a different (better?) loader. This is the only area where I see this issue. The Windows and Linux installations all display normally. This has to be an issue with GRUB.

Reading this forum a bit helped me get the installation up in the first place. (I was originally getting the "No root file system is defined" error.) I'm sure there must be a relatively simple way to fix this. Thanks in advance.

CHBoykin
November 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I too have this problem where the grub 1.99 splash screen is displayed slightly off screen to the left. I have found no other mention of this problem anywhere much less a resolution. If anyone has a solution to this problem I thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
AMD 890GX / SB850
Ubuntu 11.04 / Windows 7