PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitioning NTFS

nathaliesicard
July 17th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Hello everyone and thanks for reading.

My issue is this:

I want to install ubuntu in a work laptop that has Windows XP. It's got a 160 GB hard drive and it's not partitioned. I tried the install and it didn't work. It gave me a message saying there had been an error and the partitioning had been aborted (I chose to partition 20 GB out of the 160 for ubuntu). The Windows XP worked ok afterwards.

My question is:

Could it be some kind of block for a disk not to be partiotioned or why could it be that it is not working?
Anything else that I'm not seeing?
Should I keep trying ?

I hope someone can help me, because I'm not a computers person and this computer is my work laptop and we don't have admin user so we can't install anything. My house was robbed and they stole my personal laptop, I'm very depressed.

Thank you

Herman
July 17th, 2011, 12:43 AM
My advice is you should not keep trying, sorry.
I wouldn't install Ubuntu in any computer without the owner's permission.
I don't know how strict your employer might be, most employers are pretty fussy when it comes to what you're allowed to do and not allowed to do with their equipment.

It would be better to just continue running Ubuntu from your Live CD or a USB drive, you should be able to do quite a lot although it wouldn't be as good as a hard disk installation.

When you have discussed it with your employer and you have approval then it will be okay to proceed and install Ubuntu.
There could be a file system problem there that required CHKDSK to be run first, or you might even have an encrypted file system, especially since it is a work laptop and most companies or government organisations won't want to risk their information being exposed to the possibility of being accessible if the work laptop gets stolen.
If you do have an encrypted file system or full drive encryption then it would be best not to touch it and install Ubuntu in a different computer or at least in some other drive.

I'm sorry to read that you're depressed, I hope things get better for you. By the law of averages, bad luck should be followed sooner or later by an equal amount of good luck.
Making the right decisions helps to minimize the harmful effects of bad luck and maximize the benefits when you have good luck though.
Keeping your job would be more important than installing Ubuntu for most people.
Then you can afford a new personal laptop sometime soon I hope and maybe even a better one that the one that was taken from you.