PDA

View Full Version : Free Software at work

zenlunatic
May 22nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
This thread is aimed for those who have an understanding of the GNU philosophy. I have come to terms with the GNU philosophy and understand it to be the "one true path" if you will. My only questoin is how can I continue to go to work and use Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Office and many other non-free windows apps. I am seriously considering finding another job because RMS made the point to me that why should I do something anti-social just because someone pays me to do it? If more people stood up against non-free software we would get so much farther and be able to live in freedom. So would you be willing to quit your job for your principles?

meng
May 22nd, 2006, 08:24 PM
As a general question, it depends which principles you're talking about. As much as I support the idea of free software, I wouldn't quit my job over it (and anyway I doubt I'd find the same sort of work at a place where free software was supported). Thinking more broadly, I'd never ever find an employer that shared all of my values regarding religious freedom, political expression, industrial relations, recycling, etc., so what is it that makes free software worth giving up your job for?

Out of interest, how would you feel about using closed-source but non-Microsoft web-based applications that roughly approximated the function of Word, Excel, etc.?

Interesting thread topic! But for me the answer is simple.

zenlunatic
May 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
You're chosing to be amoral. Of course you're not going to find an employer that does those things, but most companies are not allowed to discriminate based on religious ideaology, so whats the difference with this? Why should an employer be able to force you to do something that goes against your principles. That' s like saying you must eat meat if you're a vegetarian. Its ridiculous.

meng
May 22nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Good points. What do you think about these issues then:
* My employer has many vending machines providing soda pop. I consider these to be making unhealthy products too accessible to other employees. Should I quit?
* My employer runs a Catholic hospital campus that does not dispense oral contraception or advocate pregnancy termination. It also has a Methodist hospital campus that allows both of these things. If I had strong views one way or another on abortion and contraception, should I object?
* My employer uses a lot of water to keep the lawns green in summer, and has heated sidewalks to keep the snow off in winter. I consider this a waste of resources. Should I resign?
* My employer has a strict dress code. There are clear differences in the latitude offered to men vs. women. Should I object on the basis of gender equality?
Are these issues more contrived than your issue regarding free software. Perhaps - I'll be interested in hearing other opinions. And finally, am I an amoral person? I don't believe so. Am I compromising my free software beliefs by remaining in my job? Again, I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.

aysiu
May 22nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
I think what meng's trying to point you to is "How important is free software to you?"

Is it worth quitting your job over? That's your call. Frankly, I would much prefer to work with free software at my job, but it's not as if there are a ton employers out there who use Linux (except maybe on their servers, and I'm not qualified to work with those). I don't think I'd quit my job over it.

zenlunatic
May 22nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
By your logic it would be fine to go to Iraq and kill some innocent person after joining the military. Afterall its only a "job". Why should you quit just because they do things that you don't like.

The only way we're going to destroy the system of non-free software is if we wholly resist it with all our being.

prizrak
May 22nd, 2006, 09:06 PM
Personally I think that GNU philosophy is akin to strict Judaism, it will not work in the real world. Employers have certain expectations of you. If you happen to be a System, Network or Dbase Admin you are normally expected to be on call if something happens as it is your responsibility to keep those systems working and available. If you don't pick up your phone or refuse to telecomute to work on Friday nights and during Saturdays because of Sabath you are likely to get replaced by someone who will not have that problem. Even though your employer is not allowed to discriminate on the basis of religion if your religion interferes with your productivity you are not likely to stay at that job.
Same thing is with Free Software (notice not just open source), there are more than enough proprietary programs with no alternatives in the FOSS world. Any company that you work for will chose whatever tools they prefer, you will not find a single company that doesn't run something proprietary regardless of whether they run Linux or Windows. If you want to spread your principles talk to the IT people, try to convince those with power that FOSS software will serve them better and be cheaper. Quitting because of that is hardly justified. You wouldn't expect your employer to build you a Mosque if you happen to be muslim they won't install FOSS on just your computer if you happen to be a GNU person.

prizrak
May 22nd, 2006, 09:07 PM
By your logic it would be fine to go to Iraq and kill some innocent person after joining the military. Afterall its only a "job". Why should you quit just because they do things that you don't like.

The only way we're going to destroy the system of non-free software is if we wholly resist it with all our being.
a) That is a false analogy.
b) It was your choice to join the military while knowing that something like that would happen.

meng
May 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Even assuming that destruction of non-free software is the goal, I think our choices extend beyond staying or leaving one's employer. If one disagrees with the government, is the only option to leave the country?

aysiu
May 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
If one disagrees with the government, is the only option to leave the country? According to some crazy people, yes.

I've heard it many times from some extremists in America who believe America's perfect and if you criticize even one thing about America, "Love it or leave it. Get the hell out of here, you unpatriotic *******!"

blackjack6.21.91
May 23rd, 2006, 12:09 AM
if it's necessary for you to work where there is only free software available, so be it. But don't approach this issue as if your employer is imposing on you- you signed up for the job.
That's like going to Iraq and then getting mad because people expect you hurt others.
Now, i would seriously consider talking to people and trying to get them to utilize GNU/Linux over non-free apps, but in my opinion, it's not something to quit your job over unless your job is something you no longer enjoy doing

H.E. Pennypacker
June 21st, 2006, 06:56 PM
You raise an interesting point. I think its a good topic.

Instead of resisting your employer and waging a war against a world that does not necessarily gravitate towards free software, why not take the necessary steps to bring about such a revolution? Surely you won't stop talking to friends and family if they don't use free software. Simply tell them why you believe what you believe, and try to bring about a change in a calm manner with patience.

Don't fight the world, work with it.

G Morgan
June 21st, 2006, 08:05 PM
According to some crazy people, yes.

I've heard it many times from some extremists in America who believe America's perfect and if you criticize even one thing about America, "Love it or leave it. Get the hell out of here, you unpatriotic *******!"

That unwavering belief irrespective of evidence is unfortunately Americas biggest weakness and is what will bring the country down if anything will. Absolutism is the domain of one group of people and it isn't the wise.

As for the idea of quiting work for a company because of non free software. I think even RMS contradicts himself slightly in this respect (which is very rare for him). I read an article (which annoyingly I can't find) where he was asked if somebody should boycott a website that ran on proprietry technology. He answered that running on proprietry technology restricted their freedom not yours, boycotting would gain nothing in this case. The same case could be made for employment, proprietry software restricts your employer not yourself, you can still run Linux in your own home.

So essentially its a matter of interpretation. Personally I won't quit a job on the basis of technology unless it due was an extremely bad humanitarian situation (say if MS funded Robert Mugabes government). There will always be proprietry software, all we can do is strive to have as much FLOSS as we can.