PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there a way to show gnome programs from the kde menu?

bobdobbs
July 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hi all.

I'm using kde on ubuntu 10.04. I have gnome and kde 4.5.3 installed.
I prefer to use gnome-terminal. It's easy to set up transparency on gnome-terminal. Konsole 2.5.3 doesn't give an option for transparency. At least not on my system.

I prefer the K desktop environment over gnome.

Whenever I want to use a gnome application, I have my choice of annoying and error-prone processes to invoke it.
I could do right click -> run program, and then type out the name of the program. I could do alt-F2 and type out the program name. Or I could go to the menu and then the text input box at the top, type out the name of the program.

Repeating the process is annoying.

Is there a way to populate the kde menu with links to gnome application? Or put some gnome programs in the favourites?

ilovelinux33467
July 16th, 2011, 12:57 PM
If you go to the menu and type out the name of the program, it should appear as a result in the below box which you should be able to right click and add to favourites. Konsole should give you the option for transparency. It should be under right click -> Configure Current Profile -> Appearence tab -> Edit button, and you should see the option to set transparency.

bobdobbs
July 16th, 2011, 01:04 PM
If you go to the menu and type out the name of the program, it should appear as a result in the below box which you should be able to right click and add to favourites. Konsole should give you the option for transparency. It should be under right click -> Configure Current Profile -> Appearence tab -> Edit button, and you should see the option to set transparency.

Thanks!

I now have transparency for konsole.

The other thing...

If I type "gnome-terminal", I see an icon of a cog, with "run gnome-terminal" written beside it.
The icon is not responsive to a right click.
No icon for gnome-terminal shows.

ilovelinux33467
July 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM
If I type "gnome-terminal", I see an icon of a cog, with "run gnome-terminal" written beside it.
The icon is not responsive to a right click.
No icon for gnome-terminal shows.

Hmm, not sure why gnome-terminal doesn't show sorry. You could create your own launcher to it. Just right click the K menu and click Edit Applications. Then add a new item to the category of your choice (e.g. Utilities) and call it something like Terminal. Then in the command text box type in "gnome-terminal". You can also add a description and an icon and other stuff if you want. Then click save and close that dialog box. Then it will be under the category you selected and you can add it to your favourites by simply right clicking it and clicking "add to favourites".