PDA

View Full Version : Just checked out Fedora 15 on Live USB...

ninjaaron
July 16th, 2011, 10:45 AM
and it was horrifying! Gnome 3 seems cool (which is what I really wanted to see), but the default font appeared to be designed for blind people, and it was making my eyes bleed and I couldn't change it.

Plus when I opened a program, the top two inches of the screen was full of bars; the main bar of gnome shell, a really big thick bar with nothing in it except an "X" in the corner, the menu bar, and whatever other bars the program has... which for Firefox was, like the tab bar, the address bar, and the bookmarks bar. You end up with the content squeezed into a little strip at the bottom of the screen.

Default theme was nice though. Very, rounded, smooth and pretty.

But damn, when I look at my screen, I want to see content, not bars... not to mention fonts fit for human viewing.

Anyway, Maybe Fedora does have some great features and better stability and whatever... but I spend most of my time on the computer, you know, looking at the screen, so I can't have ugly; I don't care if Fedora can shoot rainbows from it's ***. Ubuntu, I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

This reminds me... in 11.10 daily builds, I haven't found an easy way to mess with fonts and icons and so forth. This pleases me not at all.

HermanAB
July 16th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Gnometweaks fixes all complaints.

There are also KDE, LXDE and XFCE, so there is really no reason to complain about F15, especially on this forum.

BigSilly
July 16th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Running Gnome 3 on openSUSE 11.4 here, and the Cantarell font looks fantastic. I love it. :)

I'm a big fan of Gnome 3 all round. It's been absolutely perfect on my system, and is very very nice to use generally.

3rdalbum
July 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Gnome 3 is nice, but I love Unity's "Content over Chrome" design.

Linuxratty
July 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Here is a video review. I hate how the background darkens when you select something and there are those big,ugly icons again.
So nope,not impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0lIpCntwv8