PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installed on external hard disk not booting

intull5
July 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Hello! I tried installing ubuntu 11.04 on my 80gb external Hard Disk. I also have a normal ubuntu 11.04 installed on my PC. I partitioned 35gb of the external hard disk for ubuntu and installed it successfully. I restart my computer, hit F12 for the boot menu and select "USB-HDD". But the PC ubuntu boots up not the external hard disk ubuntu.

Should i do something? Have i gone wrong somewhere?

MIchaelStephens
July 16th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Hi, I have been struggling with the same issue for several weeks now. The only way I can boot Ubuntu at the moment is to boot off of a Supergrub CD or use a USB flash drive.

intull5
July 16th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I found out that the hard disk itself is not recognized. I inserted another hard disk, which got detected with a separate identifier. But this hard disk is not. I don't know why. Does the booting identify ext4 file systems? Is it because of that?

oldfred
July 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
My system does not boot USB devices from USB list but from hard drive list. Took me quite a while to realize that.

Post this:
Boot Info Script courtesy of forum members meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste contents of results.txt in a New Reply, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the New Reply Edit toolbar and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.
V60 has improved formating and requires code tags to make it legible. New Version is a zip file that you have to extract to get .sh to run.

MIchaelStephens
July 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Hi, all I finally got mine to boot..
Booted from LiveCD and partitioned the USB hard drive:
/boot 500 meg ext2, primary, bootable
Swap 4 Gb
/ - 12Gb ext4
/home rest of the drive ext4

Then installed keeping the above structure.

Success...