PDA

View Full Version : My rant about....stuff

linuxman94
July 16th, 2011, 06:45 AM
So i perusing the minecraft forums today and i came across a thread in which the poster wanted to know where his .minecraft directory was on linux (turns out he was on Ubuntu 10.10 :D). Naturally, i click on the thread and read the other posts before replying. Here's what one said:

type %appdata% then you will pull up roaming then it should be the top

The title clearly said "Linux .minecraft folder?"

Anyhow on to the next topic. Does anyone get slightly annoyed when you're working with someone in a thread and anther person chimes in with bad advice? For example, i was browsing the forums looking for threads that needed solving and i came across one about installing Firefox 5. The person had downloaded the tar.gz version and didn't know what to do. The first responder noted that it is already in the repository and proceeded to give the op the commands for updating his system. The very next poster gave him generic instructions for compiling a program, which confused him.

Well that's my $0.02, I'm sure you guys will have some comments on this one. :popcorn:

wolfen69
July 16th, 2011, 06:56 AM
S

Anyhow on to the next topic. Does anyone get slightly annoyed when you're working with someone in a thread and anther person (usually newbies) chimes in with bad advice?

Geez, that's never happened to me before. ;) I've learned to let it roll off. When you spend countless hours in the forum, it's bound to happen. If your advice is the right advice, then no worries. Cream rises to the top everytime.

edit: btw, chill out linuxman, you seem upset.

linuxman94
July 16th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Geez, that's never happened to me before. ;) I've learned to let it roll off. When you spend countless hours in the forum, it's bound to happen. If your advice is the right advice, then no worries. Cream rises to the top everytime.

edit: btw, chill out linuxman, you seem upset.

Did it come across that way? Cause i'm not upset, just slightly annoyed. I'll edit it and tone it down :)

wolfen69
July 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Did it come across that way? Cause i'm not upset, just slightly annoyed. I'll edit it and tone it down :)

Don't worry about it, it was probably just me. You seem fine.

I've been a little crazy lately. Oops.

handy
July 16th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I go out & give bad advice just to add variety to the posts. Its a tough job but someone has to do it... :^o ;)

linuxman94
July 16th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I edited it anyhow :P Even i didn't like the way it came off

wolfen69
July 16th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I go out & give bad advice just to add variety to the posts. Its a tough job but someone has to do it... :^o ;)

Since you're perfect, this would be out of character for you..... right? Just asking.

3rdalbum
July 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I must admit, I get annoyed when people give bad advice. The cream doesn't always rise to the top - sometimes my suggestion is ignored despite it being the most relevant reply to that precise problem. For example, dragging a file to the terminal while others are telling them what typos they made while typing in a file path!

Sometimes people give advice that works but is wrong - for instance, telling someone to chmod a. System directory instead of using sudo to copy into it or open a root file browser. That bothers me more.

linuxman94
July 16th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Sometimes people give advice that works but is wrong - for instance, telling someone to chmod a. System directory instead of using sudo to copy into it or open a root file browser.

Haven't seen stuff like that yet, but that could spell disaster :o

wolfen69
July 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I must admit, I get annoyed when people give bad advice.

Or when the next 3 comments say the same thing YOU just did, but with a couple different words.

When I'm perusing the forums for someone to help, I see certain people have already answered and probably given good advice, I don't bust into a help question unless it's absolutely needed. I know most of the posters around here, and they do a much better job than me. I tip my hat to them.

wolfen69
July 16th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I must admit, I get annoyed when people give bad advice.

That's life. People will always give bad advice.

handy
July 16th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Since you're perfect, this would be out of character for you..... right? Just asking.

If I'm perfect, then you are too... :KS

Gone fishing
July 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Bad advice – it will happen sometimes, generally folk are just trying to do their best and be helpful, as long as the advice is not malicious I think its forgivable. Generally the forums here are busy enough with enough knowledgeable people that any bad advice is soon corrected. Three posts saying the same thing at least suggests the advice is good, easy done too if all the posts occur more or less simultaneously.

I must admit to adding the odd, odd comment due to not carefully reading the first post properly - sorry not perfect :oops:

oldos2er
July 16th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Sometimes people give advice that works but is wrong - for instance, telling someone to chmod a. System directory instead of using sudo to copy into it or open a root file browser. That bothers me more.

I find that troubling as well, among other things.