PDA

View Full Version : Warty Vs Hoary???

joplass
March 4th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I am relatively new to Ubuntu. While browsing the forum, I noticed talk about Hoary and Warty. What exactly is the difference between the two? Someone tells me because I am running Warty and if Hoary is better I will hunt it down. Looking for the best guys, Ubuntu does it for me although I am still at the customization stage.

darrenadams
March 4th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I am relatively new to Ubuntu. While browsing the forum, I noticed talk about Hoary and Warty. What exactly is the difference between the two? Someone tells me because I am running Warty and if Hoary is better I will hunt it down. Looking for the best guys, Ubuntu does it for me although I am still at the customization stage.

Warty (aka Warty Warthog) is the current stable release of Ubuntu. It was released in October 2004 (see http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/WartyWarthog). It's considered to be more stable that Hoary (aka Hoary Hedgehog) and is officially supported. Some of the packages may not be that up to date, but they work well. I haven't used it in a while, but I don't think new packages will be added to it, only security [and stability?] updates.

Hoary (aka Hoary Hedgehog) is the current development release of Ubuntu (and is only supported though these forums at the moment). It changes more frequently than Warty does, and contains more packages, because it hasn't reached feature freeze yet (though I might be wrong). It includes more up-to-date software than Warty, such as X.Org, Gnome 2.9/2.10, and Mozilla Firefox 1.0. Because it's a development release you may run into problems from time to time, but many people (myself included) find it good enough for everyday use. Instructions on how to obtain Hoary can be found in the Hoary Hedgehog forums I think...

So to sum up,

Warty: Stable, Officially supported, Less prone to breakage
Hoary: Unstable, More up-to-date software, constantly changing (for now)