PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry

Arrhenius
May 22nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
I am doing an chemistry work for school using Ubuntu, but I need the double arrow that indicates an equilibrium reaction? Someone know, where can I find it?

Also, what font would you recommend me to use? Arial?

Thank you. :p

kwaanens
May 22nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
I am doing an chemistry work for school using Ubuntu, but I need the double arrow that indicates an equilibrium reaction? Someone know, where can I find it?

Search Google for "Lanz chemistry ttf" and "Royal society of chemistry ttf"
Gets you more than you bargained for :)

EDIT: Better yet: here's the links:
http://www.monroecc.edu/wusers/Flanzafame/ChemFont.htm
http://www.chemsoc.org/networks/learnnet/RSCfont.htm

Also, what font would you recommend me to use? Arial?

That would be your choice. Personally, I use Times New Roman, or some other sans font. That is partly because I don't like fiddling around with OOo-math to have the same fonts for both formulas and the rest of the document.
If you haven't tried math yet, do so. When you master the really simple input, you get very nice documents, related to chemistry, math, physics and more.

- Ketil

Arrhenius
May 22nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
Thank you for your reply. :)

teet
May 23rd, 2006, 06:30 AM
You could also install latex and texmaker (my personal favorite latex editor)...although that would probably be overkill.

There are a couple of "chemdraw" like programs in the repositories too...can't think of their name off hand though.

-teet

disabled_20220313
May 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
There is one called Chemtool, in the repo's.

It's very basic, I'm tempted to learn python just to write a decent one for uni that doesn't cost £300!

Arrhenius
May 23rd, 2006, 10:29 AM
You could also install latex and texmaker (my personal favorite latex editor)...although that would probably be overkill.

Why overkill? :)

teet
May 25th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Why overkill? :)

Sorry, I didn't check this thread for a couple of days. Installing Latex to get a simple double arrow would be analogous to installing openoffice to edit a plain text file. Both will certainly get the job done, but there are easier ways to solve your immediate problem (the fonts suggested above for you or using a simple text editor like nano or mousepad).

-teet

alibobar
December 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM
There is one called Chemtool, in the repo's.

It's very basic, I'm tempted to learn python just to write a decent one for uni that doesn't cost £300!

Please do !!

I've been trying BKChem for now, it's ok except I can't draw half and full-pointed arrows that resemble electron-transfers. I'd just like a bented arrow that can be locked to different atoms and reshapes according to the placement of those atoms.