PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Customise?

MG&TL
July 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I have recently downgraded to lubuntu 11.04, however the oppourtunity to customise seems a little lacking...is this a (non) feature of lubuntu and LXDE, or are there ways to customise it? CCSM and compiz in general do not seem to work, I would say this is because of LXDE, but XFCE, GNOME, UNITY, and KDE, all work, so why shouldn't this?

I appreciate it is designed for speed, if that is the way it is designed (with very little customization), please tell me, thank you.

Great forum, thanks for supporting us newbies. :D

Frogs Hair
July 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
http://lxde.org/lxappearance_change_look_feel

Compiz in Lubuntu ?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1576889

DannyDroid
July 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Installing Compiz kind of defeats what Lubuntu is trying to do. Compiz will increase the RAM usage.

If you want something customizable then Lubuntu isn't for you, but if you want something lightweight, then it is.

MG&TL
July 15th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I'm not after the effects, I was:

a) just curious :D
b) are not some things compiz-compatible only?
c) also some people (NOT including myself) might want to run lubuntu so that they CAN run desktop effects. If only to see what the fuss was about.
d) finally, I actually use the 'zoom desktop' function on occasion, as well as some window organising ones.

But never mind. I see your point, you would only really run lubuntu if you had no choice in the matter if you wanted it to run reasonably, and compiz defeats that point. And you really wouldn't run lubuntu if you wanted stability, either...'sudo apt-get' wouldn't work and chromium would freeze until I booted into recovery mode, ran 'clean', 'dpkg' and 'reset grub'. Weird. When/Does it get merged with the main ubuntu project?

DannyDroid
July 17th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I find Lubuntu to be a lot more stable on my HP Mini 110 then Ubuntu, only issue I have is when the battery runs low and instead of hibernating just "dies".

Lubuntu is said to get official Ubuntu status this release (11.10), if all goes according to plan.

Frogs Hair
July 17th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I'm not after the effects, I was:

a) just curious :D
b) are not some things compiz-compatible only?
c) also some people (NOT including myself) might want to run lubuntu so that they CAN run desktop effects. If only to see what the fuss was about.
d) finally, I actually use the 'zoom desktop' function on occasion, as well as some window organising ones.

But never mind. I see your point, you would only really run lubuntu if you had no choice in the matter if you wanted it to run reasonably, and compiz defeats that point. And you really wouldn't run lubuntu if you wanted stability, either...'sudo apt-get' wouldn't work and chromium would freeze until I booted into recovery mode, ran 'clean', 'dpkg' and 'reset grub'. Weird. When/Does it get merged with the main ubuntu project?

I linked you to that thread because a poster on that thread is /was using Compiz on Lubuntu . No explanations needed , do what you like . :D

cogitordi
July 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
There is a free program called LXMED that you can use to edit the main menu.

You can switch your input language using the setxkbmap command, e.g.:
= setxkbmap us
= setxkbmap ca, -variant fr

The first example sets the US keyboard. The second example sets the Canadian French keyboard.

The one thing I'd like to know right now is how to add a custom command to the right-click context menu in Lubuntu. (In Gnome, one can use Nautilus scripts.)

MG&TL
July 17th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Interesting, cogitori. :D

Sorry, Frogs Hair, I meant DannyDroid's post. Your one was great. You've all been great. Thankyou.