PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] two distros question

nmxdaven
July 15th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Hey guys!

Have a question. May seem a bit elemental but I've never done it before so I want to make sure I get it right.

On my laptop I currently have Ubuntu 11.04 installed. Its partitioned as follows.

1. /boot 500mb primary
2. swap 3gb primary
3. / 70gb primary
4. /home a lot logical
5. The rest is unformatted free space.
Boot loader is installed in the default location

Now I want to install a different distro, namely backtrack 5. How do I make sure my Ubuntu install isn't fubard? I want to use the same swap space but thats it, the rest is to go on the unformatted partition. Any tips for making sure I don't screw up my install?

Thanks guys!
nmxdaven

Quackers
July 15th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I'm not 100% sure but Backtrack has caused problems for some people. I believe it uses grub legacy as opposed to grub2 and this can cause a conflict of sorts. Try not installing Backtrack's bootloader at all, or install it to it's own root partition and use 11.04's grub to boot it.

nmxdaven
July 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I'm not 100% sure but Backtrack has caused problems for some people. I believe it uses grub legacy as opposed to grub2 and this can cause a conflict of sorts. Try not installing Backtrack's bootloader at all, or install it to it's own root partition and use 11.04's grub to boot it.

So if I dont install its own bootloader I would just have to configure grub2 to reflect this? thanks for the help!