PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu alongside Vista, Out of Frequency Error during boot-up only

Elanius
July 15th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Well, I guess the title says it all, but I'm a complete noob to Ubuntu and non-Windows OS in general. I recently attempted to install Ubuntu 11.04 alongside Windows Vista, and now during the boot up process only I get Out of Frequency Error and a black screen, so I can't see the boot options come up to log into Vista instead if I should so desire. When I get out of the boot up process and hit Ubuntu everything's fine. This happens with multiple monitors, ranging from archaeologically old CRTs to a new flat screen that's less than a year old, to my five year old CRT I had intended to use. I've tried updating drivers, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right...

Changing my resolution through the Monitors menu under system settings->hardware doesn't help me at all in the boot up process. Googling the problem leads me to suspect it may be tied to monitor refresh rate, but with my current store of knowledge that information is no value to me whatsoever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steve11911
July 15th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I'm not Vista guy but you might try pressing the F8 key at bootup...see if you get an option like enable vga mode

Quackers
July 15th, 2011, 02:19 AM
It might be worth taking a look at this sticky thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Elanius
July 15th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Well, see, the problem with that is I've never seen Ubuntu load up properly. It's all invisible thanks to the screen being black save for that Out of Frequency error message on the monitor. So while reading that FAQ I don't think they've mentioned anything relevant to my situation, it's possible I'd totally know what they're talking about if I knew what Ubuntu loading up was supposed to look like. >_>

Oh, and I tried F8 for VGA mode. I don't know what VGA mode is, but, hey, impressive-looking acronym in a site found from my google search on this subject, so I figured it was worth a go! But no dice, alas.

Bobhuber
July 15th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Well, I guess the title says it all, but I'm a complete noob to Ubuntu and non-Windows OS in general. I recently attempted to install Ubuntu 11.04 alongside Windows Vista, and now during the boot up process only I get Out of Frequency Error and a black screen, so I can't see the boot options come up to log into Vista instead if I should so desire. When I get out of the boot up process and hit Ubuntu everything's fine. This happens with multiple monitors, ranging from archaeologically old CRTs to a new flat screen that's less than a year old, to my five year old CRT I had intended to use. I've tried updating drivers, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right...

Changing my resolution through the Monitors menu under system settings->hardware doesn't help me at all in the boot up process. Googling the problem leads me to suspect it may be tied to monitor refresh rate, but with my current store of knowledge that information is no value to me whatsoever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Its probably not Vista or Ubuntu causing the problem. I had the same difficulty with a home theater setup and two monitors with a video extender that I was using.The error you are getting is normally (or can be) associated with either a defective vga cable or one that is too long.