PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity problems

phil1349
July 14th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Recently installed 11.04 with no problems - until I loaded compizconfig manager and tried to customise the settings. Not sure what I have done but I have lost the launcher & all top line menu items.

I can right-click the desktop & add an application launcher such as Firefox to the desktop but it runs full screen with no max/min/kill buttons or any top line menu. I cannot switch desktops or anything like that.

Alt-F2 does not work so I cannot use "Unity --reset" as suggested in other posts.

I probably need to manually edit a configuration file but I have not yet aquired a feeling for Unity.

Any ideas ?

Frogs Hair
July 15th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Restart with the button on the computer , when the login screen comes up select your user name and enter the password .

Before login , select the recovery console from the session list below the greeter box on the bottom panel.

Enter
unity --reset and restart the computer . When login screen comes up again select Ubuntu from the session list .

If you plan to use the cube in Unity search for a tutorial , there are number of them on the Web .

wildmanne39
July 15th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Recently installed 11.04 with no problems - until I loaded compizconfig manager and tried to customise the settings. Not sure what I have done but I have lost the launcher & all top line menu items.

I can right-click the desktop & add an application launcher such as Firefox to the desktop but it runs full screen with no max/min/kill buttons or any top line menu. I cannot switch desktops or anything like that.

Alt-F2 does not work so I cannot use "Unity --reset" as suggested in other posts.

I probably need to manually edit a configuration file but I have not yet aquired a feeling for Unity.

Any ideas ?Hi, after you reset unity you can use this guide for changing settings, I do not know what setting you want to change, but this guide is for the cube and effects like wobbly windows, so you can use what you want and leave the rest as long as you follow the procedures needed to allow you to change effects without breaking unity.
http://amazingubuntucube.blogspot.com/

phil1349
July 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
My thanks to Frogs Hair, it worked perfectly & all is restored.

Frogs Hair
July 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
My thanks to Frogs Hair, it worked perfectly & all is restored.

You're Welcome

Setting up Compiz is a little different in Unity and there is more information as time passes . The method I used is a bit uncomfortable for some users , so I didn't post the link because there is newer information.