PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unity problems.. missing title bars in classic mode, no desktop cube etc etc etc.

crshbndct
July 14th, 2011, 09:59 PM
i just recently got back from an overseas holiday, and decided to update my ubuntu.

how i wish i had never done this!!
i used to run docky, (which still works) and desktop cube, wobbly windows, beam effects etc. i loved how much eye candy there was.

but i also like new things, so i upgraded my system to 11.04 when i turned it back on, and i absolutely hate the new interface. i can see how it might be better for a linux virgin, but its kinda frustrating having all the stuff that i was used to using and showing off to my friends missing.

so i decided that i would just try classic mode, which still doesnt work. no title bars, desktop cube still send my pc into a spin which requires a hard reset, and there are just too many conflicts between compiz and unity for my liking.
but now i am stuck with this new thing and i dont know how to rollback to 10.10 without a format.

i have convinced quite a few people with pentium 4ish hardware to use ubuntu rather than upgrading, and they are all true believers now, but i suspect that they are going to be very annoyed that all their special effects are gone.

wildmanne39
July 15th, 2011, 06:15 AM
i just recently got back from an overseas holiday, and decided to update my ubuntu.

how i wish i had never done this!!
i used to run docky, (which still works) and desktop cube, wobbly windows, beam effects etc. i loved how much eye candy there was.

but i also like new things, so i upgraded my system to 11.04 when i turned it back on, and i absolutely hate the new interface. i can see how it might be better for a linux virgin, but its kinda frustrating having all the stuff that i was used to using and showing off to my friends missing.

so i decided that i would just try classic mode, which still doesnt work. no title bars, desktop cube still send my pc into a spin which requires a hard reset, and there are just too many conflicts between compiz and unity for my liking.
but now i am stuck with this new thing and i dont know how to rollback to 10.10 without a format.

i have convinced quite a few people with pentium 4ish hardware to use ubuntu rather than upgrading, and they are all true believers now, but i suspect that they are going to be very annoyed that all their special effects are gone.Hi, first you shoud look at this link it is for compiz in classic.
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-to-downgrade-to-compiz-086-in.html
You might want to check and see if you have the unity plugin checked in classic because you do not need it checked and I it would cause some of your issues.

crshbndct
July 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM
thanks i will try that.
i decided to try kubuntu but that was a nightmare of epic proportions

wildmanne39
July 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
thanks i will try that.
i decided to try kubuntu but that was a nightmare of epic proportions
Hi, ok and after you get it fixed you can use this guide to setup the cube and effects it has pictures for every step.
http://amazingubuntucube.blogspot.com/

pritam_par
July 31st, 2011, 08:14 PM
Enabling Cube with unity will kill the unity. This can be solved just follow the process below

1.In compiz setting manager disable these plugin:
i) OpenGL
ii) Composite
iii) Ubuntu unity plugin
iv) Desktop wall.
Select disable plugins when a window appears asking for disabling other plugins.
After disabling these plugins your panels and unity will disappear,don't panic and follow next step.

2. Now enable these plugins sequentially.
i)OpenGl
ii)Composite
iii)Desktop cube
iv)Rotate cube
v)Ubuntu unity plugin.

for title bar. Goto compiz setting manager and select window decoration option.
Title bar will appear again.