PDA

View Full Version : Just installed Dapper... Wow!!

Stew2
May 22nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Hi everyone,
I installed Dapper last night and used Iandefor's "bumps" to set up the codecs (thanks Iandefor)...Wow! Is Dapper ever sweet. I had tried the flight 6 beta when it came out and did'nt really care for it too much (I did'nt see that much of a diffrence over Breezy). I was bored last night so I reinstalled the flight 6 beta that I had, and then dist-upgraded it to get it current... what a diffrence! The developers have done a lot of work since flight 6 first came out! Is it just me or is Dapper a lot more responsive than Breezy? Im loving this :D .

P.S. Yeah, the trash can is an improvement over the old one! ;)

Sef
May 22nd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Nice to hear what you said. If you have any questions, please post them.

Brynster
May 22nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
I just did a reinstall of Dapper after a catatrophic hd failure I have also used "BUMPS" to setup the multimeda codecs. Works fantasically big thanks to Iandefor making my life a little simpler.

Brynster
May 22nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
I just did a reinstall of Dapper after a catastrophic hd failure I have also used "BUMPS" to setup the multimeda codecs. Works fantasically big thanks to Iandefor making my life a little simpler.

fuscia
May 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
is dapper's official release date june 1st? what is left to be done?

Stew2
May 22nd, 2006, 04:54 PM

Yeah, the official date is still June 1st, I was just bored and couldnt wait. Looks pretty darn complete to me though! =D> Im impressed!

Brynster
May 22nd, 2006, 05:37 PM
I think its just "touching up" and "spit and polish" left to apply.

therunnyman
May 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM

So far as I've seen, they could use another month or so. I've got the Hard Disk of Science and Justice (tm) here, and it profoundly disagrees with Dapper. Please don't take this as a flame; I'm merely reporting what the Hard Disk of Science and Justice (tm) has related to me.

1) There is absolutely no support for SATA, RAID, SATA RAID, Software RAID, Hardware RAID, or any other stripe of striping. It's pretty simple, Dapper: if I install you (from the Live CD, the text CD from within the GUI, from a terminal) to The Hard Disk of Science and Justice (tm), more specifically, sdc1, you reside on sdc1. Why, Dapper, do you insist you reside on sdb1, or sda1, or whatever device other than the one you reside on?

2) Why, Dapper, does your partitioner persistently and consistently malfunction?

3) Though I don't necessarily need Firestarter, why won't you let me run it, telling me eth0 isn't ready, despite the fact I've got yet another iteration of you coming down the pipe?

4) Brown and orange, are the new blue, I know, but my first impression of you resembles my first impression of a diaper after a hearty meal of strained carrots.

Dapper won't touch any of my disks until well into June. Not even in the name of Science and Justice.

therunnyman

Sye d'Burns
May 22nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
So far as I've seen, they could use another month or so. I've got the Hard Disk of Science and Justice (tm) here, and it profoundly disagrees with Dapper. Please don't take this as a flame; I'm merely reporting what the Hard Disk of Science and Justice (tm) has related to me.

4) Brown and orange, are the new blue, I know, but my first impression of you resembles my first impression of a diaper after a hearty meal of strained carrots.

therunnyman

You and I have two very different ideas of what exactly a flame is.

Rackerz
May 22nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
2) Why, Dapper, does your partitioner persistently and consistently malfunction?

I'll agree with that, it always crashes on me. I haven't managed an install to the hard disk yet :(

RAV TUX
May 22nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone,
I installed Dapper last night and used Iandefor's "bumps" to set up the codecs (thanks Iandefor)...Wow! Is Dapper ever sweet. I had tried the flight 6 beta when it came out and did'nt really care for it too much (I did'nt see that much of a diffrence over Breezy). I was bored last night so I reinstalled the flight 6 beta that I had, and then dist-upgraded it to get it current... what a diffrence! The developers have done a lot of work since flight 6 first came out! Is it just me or is Dapper a lot more responsive than Breezy? Im loving this :D .

P.S. Yeah, the trash can is an improvement over the old one! ;)

Now you see what I was talking about, awesome wastebasket.

can you provide a link for landefor's "bumps"

DigitalDuality
May 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM

I might be ignorant here, but what the hell is Hard Disk of Science and Justice?

1) There is absolutely no support for SATA, RAID, SATA RAID, Software RAID, Hardware RAID, or any other stripe of striping. It's pretty simple, Dapper: if I install you (from the Live CD, the text CD from within the GUI, from a terminal) to The Hard Disk of Science and Justice (tm), more specifically, sdc1, you reside on sdc1. Why, Dapper, do you insist you reside on sdb1, or sda1, or whatever device other than the one you reside on?
Never played with RAID or SATA on linux so i can't confirm here.

The partitioner has never once malfunctioned on me. I've done dual, even triple boots, and at least 10 clean installs since January of Breezy and Dapper. Never once had the partititioner mess up.

3) Though I don't necessarily need Firestarter, why won't you let me run it, telling me eth0 isn't ready, despite the fact I've got yet another iteration of you coming down the pipe?
Again, never had a single problem with firestarter. The application works just peachy on every machine (new and old) that i've installed it on.

That's great, you're free to change it.

Most people tend to think the brown and orange are quite unfortunately choice of colors. Frankly, i think it's the only tasteful choice of colors left that could readily identify a distro.
Gentoo= Purple, Suse=Green, Debian =Red, Fedora= Blue, Mandrake=blue/yellow, Linspire= windows colors, Slackware and Mepis =Blue, etc, etc.

2ndly i hated it at first. I hated it not only in ubuntu..but also this forum.

Now I have used it for a while.. and i find the colors warm, and down to earth. There's something welcoming and human about shades of brown, tan, orange, etc..I have left my human theme on my machine now for about a month. I quite like it.

But to each their own.

Stew2
May 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Now you see what I was talking about, awesome wastebasket.

can you provide a link for landefor's "bumps"

Hi Yozef, I am not too familiar with putting links in my posts but I will give it a shot. Here it is.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138889&highlight=bumps

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. :D
Cheers.
Stew

P.S. How about that log out icon in the top right corner? I did an update this morning and have a diffrent one from last night, this one looks like a red power button.

RAV TUX
May 22nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Hi Yozef, I am not too familiar with putting links in my posts but I will give it a shot. Here it is.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138889&highlight=bumps

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. :D
Cheers.
Stew

P.S. How about that log out icon in the top right corner? I did an update this morning and have a diffrent one from last night, this one looks like a red power button.

Thanks for the link.

The log out button, I didn't care for so I unlocked it, and removed it.

take a look at my current screenshot here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=180651

therunnyman
May 23rd, 2006, 02:25 AM
I might be ignorant here, but what the hell is Hard Disk of Science and Justice?

Glad you asked! It's just something I made up to amuse myself. Now I'm wondering, though, if I can patent and trademark "The SATA Disk of Science and Justice," and charge everyone with an experimental scratch disk a royalty.

Oh, and as for the baby-poo theme, that's always the first thing I change on an Ubuntu box, even before building a tripwire db.

Think I'm gonna change my sig...

therunnyman