PDA

View Full Version : Do You Always Mark Your Threads As Solved ?

OldBoy44
July 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Hi all,

I may be wrong, but I am staggered at what appears to be a very low percentage of Solved Threads. As an example, for the last 100 of threads in the General Help Section, taken up to the time of this Poll, there were only 9 threads marked as solved.

There is little doubt that Moderators and Helpers would become exasperated at this state of affairs! So I thought this may be a good topic for a poll, which hopefully will remind users to mark their threads as solved. The longer this poll lasts, the more users will see it, so I may bump it from time to time.

Cheers, :)

jerrrys
July 14th, 2011, 07:36 PM
im pertty good about that, but have stopped telling others to do so. i find that resistance is futile, the system is broken...

CharlesA
July 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM
im pertty good about that, but have stopped telling others to do so. i find that resistance is futile, the system is broken...

Broken in what way?

I try to mark my threads as solved if they are indeed solved.

jerrrys
July 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Broken in what way?

I try to mark my threads as solved if they are indeed solved.

i would think that less than 50% of solved threads are marked solved.

i have given this thought before. each new thread should have a message on it, addressed to the OP. with option right in front of the OP to mark the thread as...

BrokenKingpin
July 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM
If it is solved I always do, but I don't always get an answer, so I don't always mark it as solved.

ninjaaron
July 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I mark threads as solved if two conditions are met:

1. There was a problem in the first place.
2. I get a fix that works.

Sometimes I mark threads as solved before anybody posts because I find something on Google. I try to post a link the the fix, usually.

wojox
July 14th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Yes I do. :P

OldBoy44
July 14th, 2011, 09:08 PM
If it is solved I always do, but I don't always get an answer, so I don't always mark it as solved.

It has occurred to me that I should have allowed another option in the poll to allow for this situation, however it is too late now. I also have the suspicion that users of the query forums may not usually access the Cafe, so results of the poll may be lopsided. :confused:

David D.
July 14th, 2011, 10:14 PM
It appears to me that many of the posted problems are from people who are new to the forums. It also appears that a number of these newbies have not read the Code of Conduct, and either do not know to mark a thread solved or do not understand how to mark a thread solved.

CraigPaleo
July 14th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I do if I remember. I'm not sure if it was here or in other forums but I have noticed that some mods will mark threads as solved when I've forgotten.

If the OP vanishes, never to be seen again, I don't think even mods can mark them as solved for that particular person - depending on the problem.

sisco311
July 14th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I don't know if it has any relevance, but currently, I'm subscribed to 1921 threads: 2 are in the `games forum' and 48 are in one of the non-support areas.

From the support forums, 704 are marked as solved and 1167 aren't.

And in my experience, many of the new users tend to mark they threads as solved (not sure if it has anything to do with my signature ;) ).

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 15th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I haven't asked for help on the forums in a long time. I spend some time on the forums trying to help people solve some problems. I really want to help them, and it is nice to know when my suggestions work. When someone doesn't mark a thread as solved or post that the suggestion worked, it is frustrating. I don't know if the suggestion fixed their problem or it didn't work. If it didn't work, I may have known of something else they could have done.

If the thread dies with my post being the last one, I don't know if my suggestion solved the problem, they didn't read it, or they just gave up trying to solve the problem.

zer010
July 15th, 2011, 05:04 AM
I try to mark my threads as SOLVED if they are solved. Even if I find a solution elsewhere, I try to come back and post the solution I found. At one time, I became self conscious about this and went through my old threads to check if I missed any that should have been marked.

Elfy
July 15th, 2011, 08:18 AM
It has occurred to me that I should have allowed another option in the poll to allow for this situation, however it is too late now. I also have the suspicion that users of the query forums may not usually access the Cafe, so results of the poll may be lopsided. :confused:Is that not the same as this?

I Don't Get An Answer To A Problem, So Don't Mark

Anyway - if it's that important a mod could add to the poll for you.

I do if I remember. I'm not sure if it was here or in other forums but I have noticed that some mods will mark threads as solved when I've forgotten.

If the OP vanishes, never to be seen again, I don't think even mods can mark them as solved for that particular person - depending on the problem.
Staff can mark threads as solved.

OldBoy44
July 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Is that not the same as this?

Anyway - if it's that important a mod could add to the poll for you.

Yes, I believe you are right forestpiskie - I may as well leave as is! :)