PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10

SkyVenice
July 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hello,

I have installed 10.10 few days ago, I really like it but I have one problem. My nvidia driver is making problems if I install -current recommended version for enabling 3d effects.
My question is,
Can I enable effects without that driver and if so, how?
Any other program, other than compiz, etc, that I can use with this driver? nvidia GeForce 210 GT218
Thank you all.

Frogs Hair
July 14th, 2011, 07:25 PM
You need a 3D driver to run effects . There are a few of options , one , try the experimental driver if offered when opening additional drivers. What I have seen written indicates it doesn't work very well.

Two , use the ppa at the link to get latest possible Nvidia driver for Ubuntu .http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/how-to-install-nvidia-25635-display.html

Three describe your issues in detail and perhaps someone can help you work through them.

Welcome to UF !

Bobhuber
July 15th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Hello,

I have installed 10.10 few days ago, I really like it but I have one problem. My nvidia driver is making problems if I install -current recommended version for enabling 3d effects.
My question is,
Can I enable effects without that driver and if so, how?
Any other program, other than compiz, etc, that I can use with this driver? nvidia GeForce 210 GT218
Thank you all.
Download the latest drivers from the Nvidia site. There are many posts on how to install the drivers. Just remember that you will have to reinstall every time there is a Kernal update. If you don't want to do that use the development PPA from x-org-edgers which will also update a bunch of stuff you may not want updated.