PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu broke windows 7 !?

shftn2gear97
July 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I just installed ubuntu to dual boot with my windows 7 machine (compaq) succesfully!

Played around with ubuntu and everything works fine...

Found out i need to use internet explorer for training purposes (work)

but.. when i boot up windows 7 its pretty much a boot loop and never gets to the log on screen...wtf...

Please help/much appreciated

Mike

Quackers
July 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Welcome to UF :-)
Please go to the site below and download the boot script. This will give you a zip file which should be extracted in the same directory as it was downloaded. This produces a folder which contains the script and a changelog file.
You then need to cd to that directory in the terminal (for example
cd Downloads/boot_info_script060 if you downloaded it to your Downloads folder). You don't need to do that if you downloaded it to your home folder.
Then enter

sudo bash boot_info_script.sh

This will produce a results.txt file in the same directory as the downloaded boot script. Please copy the contents of that file and paste them in your next post between CODE tags. For CODE tags click on New Reply (not quick reply)and then click on the # symbol in the toolbar.
This will give a full overview of your current system.
Thanks.

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Mark Phelps
July 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
but.. when i boot up windows 7 its pretty much a boot loop and never gets to the log on screen...wtf...

Did you allow the Ubuntu installer to SHRINK the Win7 partition to make room for Ubuntu? Or did you install INSIDE Win7 using Wubi?

If you did the first, you've encountered the problem where GParted corrupts Win7 OS partitions, leaving them unbootable. Unless you have a Win7 Install DVD, or had the foresight to make a Win7 Repair CD BEFORE you did the dual-boot setup, you're pretty-much hosed in Win7.