PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to log into Ubuntu

Brooksy_FC
July 14th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hey Guys,

I've just installed Gnome3 onto Ubuntu, as I thought it looked better than the other desktop. After the installation, it told me to restart my system, so I did.

Now I can't seem to log into any sessions. :( In my list I have GNOME, Recovery Console, Ubuntu and User Defined Session. Everytime I try and log into one I get the same message, for example, "Failed to load session "gnome"

Any ideas around this or anyone that has had the same issue have a solution??? :confused:

P.S. I'm kinda new to Ubuntu

enimeizoo
July 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Can you post the content of the .desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions ?

Krytarik
July 14th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Please see the start of this how-to:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742343

Greetings.

Brooksy_FC
July 18th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the link, this should help me a lot...

How can I access the terminal if I can't log in to anything? :neutral:

Krytarik
July 18th, 2011, 09:43 PM
How can I access the terminal if I can't log in to anything?
Well, good question, it's apparently not included in those how-to:

When you are at the login screen, just press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get the console login.

After re/installing the "gnome-session" package or other packages possibly related to GDM, restart the latter, this would also bring you back to the login screen:

sudo service gdm restartTo just switch back to the login screen without restarting GDM, press Ctrl+Alt+F7 or F8.

Hope this how-to and the followed thread helps you, as I'm really not that into Gnome 3 so far. Or maybe another forums member steps in, to give you more Gnome 3 specific support.

Brooksy_FC
July 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Thank you very much for your help. I'll give it a try :P

I'm only using Ubuntu to try out some Java for a website I need to edit. I'm all new to this haha. I'll have to check some other forums on that I think.

What are you using as your GDM? I only tried GNOME 3 cause it looked better than the default.

Krytarik
July 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
What are you using as your GDM? I only tried GNOME 3 cause it looked better than the default.
Well, I'm using Gnome in Lucid 10.04, but not with the usual Gnome Panels, instead with AWN.

Btw., GDM is just Gnome Display Manager, it can invoke any other Desktop Environment (DE) as well. Just to make the terminology clear.

Brooksy_FC
July 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Ah I see now. I'll look into it.

Many thanks for your time :)