PDA

View Full Version : über-list of applications

DFreeze
May 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Do you know that feeling, that you stumble across a name for some app that you just should have known a week ago? I do. There’s so much going on in the free software world and so many great apps are being made, that I can never know about them all.

For example: I wanted to create a DVD from some DivX files for a friend of mine. I had to search through a number of forum posts before I found out about DeVeDe and Tovid. Tovid doesn’t show up in synaptic or gnome-files so if I hadn’t skimmed the forums, I would’ve never found out about it. Same goes for Transmission, a fresh torrentclient, and probably dozens more... And they are too great applications to go unmentioned!

So here’s my thought: though no one knows all applications, together we can create an über-list of applications and their functions. Maybe the wiki is a better place to do this, but I’ve never done a wiki page before. But feel free to go and create this list over there. I’m just enthusiastic about free software and want to do something to help. And since I ANAP (am not a programmer) this just seemed like a good thing to do.
We could use this thread to draw an outline of what the page should look like. Which categories, which apps do we mention (only GUI, or any), how do we keep it from being an image of the complete repository, …

Bottom line is: we should be able to create a single place to find all interesting software and keep track of it. It should be a list of Linux apps, not ubuntu-only, Gnome-only or whatnot. If it’s out there and it’s good (or promising) we should be able to find out about it in one place, possibly along with instructions for getting it into your Ubuntu (when it’s not straightforward).

…or does such a list already exist and have I been living under a rock for the past year ;-)

KingBahamut
May 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/AppHelper

Similar?

DFreeze
May 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah, something like that, only more than just a equivalent-list. Let it be an Linux-only list, divided into categories. So people can e.g. select the 'burn cd' category and try some of the listed apps.

And off course it should be more 'findable', with a more catchy name than that one (couldn't remember it if I tried).

Who's with me on this?

newbie2
May 22nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=50826
;)