PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LiveCD Remix Mangle

PyrexKidd
July 14th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Hello,

Thanks Ubuntu forums, you -always- swallow my really long posts...

Good times. Well, I had a book typed, let me see if I can surmise:

I would like to create a remix of Ubuntu.

I have a number of existing installations from 10.04 to 11.04. They all run on similar hardware of VM's.

I would like to rip out the useful tools and do away with the bloatware.

Getting rid of the bloatware is (relatively) easy. Getting the stuff I do want I where I am finding it difficult. The problem is every thing has dependencies. I worked it all out once and am really not looking forward to having to do that again.

Ideally I would like to crack open the .iso images, tear out what I want and put it into a Frankenbuntu and burn that ISO. (Ideally with Gnome3, but now I'm dreaming.)

Any thoughts?

I've read this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366&page=4) thread, but it's not quite what I need.

I am not opposed to creating VM's of all the existing sytems, removing what I don't want then mashing them all together.

the biggest thing I everything has custom menus and categories under applications that I don't want to loose (Many of these I've configured myself over time.)

(I can easily create a backup ISO of each distro and install the backup as a VM in a work environment... just spit-balling...)

Any thoughts?

PyrexKidd
July 18th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Really? No thoughts? Not even any insults?

I know there is a way to do this as I have seen it done! (More accurately I have seen the result...)

Thanks for reading atleast.