PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update-Initramfs Problem

ThePol1
July 14th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I'm doing a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04 (amd64) on my machine. It was running Ubuntu 11.04 (amd64) just fine for a month or two until I tried to do an apt-get dist-upgrade this afternoon to pick up the latest kernel (2.6.38-10-generic). During the upgrade process, the update hung on the following line:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-10-generic

Now, when I try to do a fresh install, it hangs on the *same* line:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic

I've let it go overnight and it never comes back.

Please help. :(

ThePol1
July 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Bump. Please help. This is my main computer and really needs to be working.

Any suggestions on how to debug this problem?

Does it sound like a RAM problem? Should I try installing from a CD (instead of a USB drive)?

ThePol1
July 14th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Is there any additional information I can provide to help diagnose this problem?

In terms of my system:
CPU: Intel i7 2600k
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
RAM: Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Video: EVGA 01G-P3-1452-TR GeForce GTS 450
HD: 1 TB Western Digital Blue
DVD: Samsung DVD-RW
eSATA: Rosewill Sil3132 R5

dino99
July 14th, 2011, 04:40 PM
it always take a while to generate it, on all systems. But you still can purge headers & image then reinstall in case of troubles.

clean your system first:
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove

only use genuine ubuntu repo

then update

sudo apt-get install -f
sudo dpkg --configure -a

and watch logs , maybe you will find usefull errors to help you :)

matt_symes
July 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hi

This is during a fresh install, where update-initramfs is failing ?

Did you format the drive before or during installation ? If not, format the entire drive.

I would also check your hardware as a matter of course. Check the hard disc's SMART status. You can do this using disc utility from the LiveUSB. Run a long test and then check the results.

Also, make sure every thing is seated inside the box.

Kind regards

ThePol1
July 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hi

This is during a fresh install, where update-initramfs is failing ?

Did you format the drive before or during installation ? If not, format the entire drive.

I would also check your hardware as a matter of course. Check the hard disc's SMART status. You can do this using disc utility from the LiveUSB. Run a long test and then check the results.

Also, make sure every thing is seated inside the box.

Kind regards

That is correct -- after the apt-get dist-upgrade failure, I decided to do a fresh install. I am formatting the drive during installation. Should I try was to format the drive using the LiveUSB and *then* do the install?

Good idea about the SMART check -- I'll do that as well.

After the format and SMART check, my next step will be to make sure everything is seated properly.

Thank you and dino99 for your responses!

ThePol1
July 15th, 2011, 01:25 AM
[SOLVED]

After trying a new hard drive, removing the DVD-RW, multiple installation media, etc., etc, etc. I found the problem to be my RAID card based on the Sil3132 chipset. I added that card a couple weeks ago (after my initial OS install). Once I removed that, the OS install went swimmingly and the upgrade to the latest kernel went well. :D

matt_symes
July 15th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Hi

Excellent :D And thanks for posting back your fix and, more importantly, the card chipset.

Kind regards