PDA

View Full Version : Ubunchu: Lol wut?

MonolithImmortal
July 13th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I was at the grocery store today, and while walking past the magazine rack I happened to see an iPhone app review magazine. Being that I own an iTouch 4g, I decided to thumb through it. Here's what I saw on the first page I opened too.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=197417&stc=1&d=1310597511
EDIT: I have no idea why this picture came out sideways, I took it right side up and uploaded it right side up... Oh well.

el_koraco
July 14th, 2011, 12:00 AM
A manga about Ubuntu. Does that mean it's mainstream?

wafflesausage
July 14th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Huh, that's bizarre, I just heard about this about an hour or two ago.

el_koraco
July 14th, 2011, 12:06 AM
lol, they even have pdf's. And there's a windows guy who hates the CLI. I'm so not reading this after the first one.

Famicube64
July 14th, 2011, 12:07 AM
http://www.divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/c1.html

Old.

juancarlospaco
July 14th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Ubunchu: serious business.

ubuntu27
July 14th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Oh, yeah. Ubunchu (http://doctormo.org/tag/ubunchu/). I've read the first three chapters 2 years ago. :)

Erik1984
July 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Oh, yeah. Ubunchu. I've read the first three chapters 2 years ago. :)

Just completed chapter 1, not sure if I should try the rest :P

Rasa1111
July 14th, 2011, 12:42 AM
"you can't even watch online videos"~"no youtube"~"inferior product"...

What the hell?

Sounds like an "inferior mind" putting this crap together. wow.

Ignorant much?

u-noob-tu
July 14th, 2011, 12:47 AM
LOL Is this for real?!?! an anime about ubuntu?!?! What could the plot possibly be?!?!

Famicube64
July 14th, 2011, 12:54 AM
"you can't even watch online videos"~"no youtube"~"inferior product"...

What the hell?

Sounds like an "inferior mind" putting this crap together. wow.

Ignorant much?
Did you even read it?

ubuntu27
July 14th, 2011, 01:03 AM
LOL Is this for real?!?! an anime about ubuntu?!?! What could the plot possibly be?!?!

It is not an Anime (It comes from the word Animation. It is not animated, it is not moving), it is a manga or comic.

No, the author is not ignorant. They made different characters with different backgrounds. One is a Windows user, another is a mac user, and one Ubuntu newbie (if I remember correctly). They all explore Ubuntu from a beginner's point of view. And debunk common myths such as the one you mentioned ;-)

DangerOnTheRanger
July 14th, 2011, 01:04 AM
A manga about Linux. This is the awesomest thing ever.

Does this mean we all aren't considered nerds now?

MonolithImmortal
July 14th, 2011, 01:09 AM
It is not an Anime (It comes from the word Animation. It is not animated, it is not moving), it is a manga or comic.

No, the author is not ignorant. They made different characters with different backgrounds. One is a Windows user, another is a mac user, and one Ubuntu newbie (if I remember correctly). They all explore Ubuntu from a beginner's point of view. And debunk common myths such as the one you mentioned ;-)
After reading the first two chapters, the characterizers are a windows user, a mac user, and a Linux server sysadmin. The Mac user suggests ubuntu as a compromise for the computer club computer.

ScionicSpectre
July 14th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Since when was manga not a nerdy thing to be involved with? Less nerdly than UNIX, perhaps.

I actually quite enjoyed this when I read it a few years ago (it was made back before the new Ubuntu image and branding). It's too bad its received so little attention since then, I thought it was an interesting way to enlighten people through something somewhat amusing and visually charming.

Rasa1111
July 14th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Did you even read it?

No...., I just pulled those quotes from mid-air. O_o
Perhaps i misunderstood something..
But of course I read it. C'mon

u-noob-tu
July 14th, 2011, 01:15 AM

i wasnt being critical about the author, i just find ubuntu an unusual topic for a manga (my mistake about saying "anime").

Alwimo
July 14th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I read the first two parts a while ago. It was fine as a diversion.

MonolithImmortal
July 14th, 2011, 01:35 AM
From the third chapter:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=197425&stc=1&d=1310603684

I lol'ed.

Quadunit404
July 14th, 2011, 02:06 AM
There is no way this could possibly be good.

*Reads a few pages* WHAT DID I JUST READ?!

JDShu
July 14th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Its been running for a while. I enjoyed it :P

DangerOnTheRanger
July 14th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Since when was manga not a nerdy thing to be involved with? Less nerdly than UNIX, perhaps.

A lot less :)

I'm going to show this manga to all my friends who say the Linux community is a bunch of emotionally shallow geeks surviving off of Twinkies and Coke. :D

(I'll also show them Compiz and Warsow, but I digress...)

8_Bit
July 14th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Haha, I thought it was funny. Kudos to the creator(s). :)

Random_Dude
July 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I've read a chapter or two some time ago (1 year or so). Not my kind of manga.

I didn't know it had been printed.