PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Thinking about installing Gnome 3

sir.sargento
July 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Hello,
Got a couple questions for you all. I have been thinking about trying out Gnome 3. While I do like Unity I am looking for something else. If I install Gnome 3 will it break Unity? Or can I use the sessions screen to switch between them? Also has anybody else using 11.04 installed Gnome 3 and if you did how is it going for you? Do you like it?

Thanks, Have a good day

cbowman57
July 13th, 2011, 08:55 PM
No, it doesn't break Unity. Probably the best method can be found here http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/

wildmanne39
July 14th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Hi, as far as I know it will remove unity, the two systems are not compatible at the moment, largely due to the fact that unity uses gtk2 and gnome3 uses gtk3. A lot of people who have install gnome3 have serious issues afterwards.

MG&TL
July 14th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Perhaps if you wait a couple of months, perhaps Oneiric will make them compatible?

sir.sargento
July 14th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Hi, as far as I know it will remove unity, the two systems are not compatible at the moment, largely due to the fact that unity uses gtk2 and gnome3 uses gtk3. A lot of people who have install gnome3 have serious issues afterwards.

Hmm, this is what I thought as well. I don't think Unity is bad, and have gotten it tweaked to where I like it. I just wanted to give Gnome 3 a shot. Its looking as if I should maybe just wait for the next Ubuntu release?

cbowman57
July 14th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Just out of curiosity, who here that replied to sir.sargento has actually tried running gnome shell & unity on the same installation?

PyrexKidd
July 14th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, who here that replied to sir.sargento has actually tried running gnome shell & unity on the same installation?

I have. I LOVE IT. Really, I LOVE GNOME3. Best thing since the 3D Cube.
Dynamic workspace creation, easy window/workspace switching. Application navigation can be a bit cumbersome, but if you know the name of it you can always type the first few letters of the application in the search bar. AND It has a smaller memory footprint than Unity (YMMV).

It took some patience but I was finally able to install it on my VM at work. (It's a corporate thing, even though winblows exists simply as a host machine to eat resources, I am required to run windows on my machine; the thought is to run windows in a VM... for another conversation)

Gnome3 is still a work in progress, but so is unity.

To dispel any mis conceptions, if you install Gnome3 using the ppa it does break Unity.
http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/04/26/how-to-install-gnome-3-on-ubuntu-11-04/
http://askubuntu.com/questions/22946/how-do-i-install-the-latest-version-of-gnome-3
(I used the first link, notice the addition of of commands in the second link.)

Also, be forewarned, Gnome3 may break your system (It broke a number of my VM's before I got it working.)

I Love Gnome3

cbowman57
July 14th, 2011, 03:19 AM
The instructions at the link I gave him doesn't break Unity.

This is how I do it http://www.webupd8.org/2011/07/gnatty-ubuntu-1104-remaster-with-gnome.html , if you look at the video both Unity & Gnome shell run on the same installation.

PyrexKidd
July 14th, 2011, 04:07 AM
With respect, this appears to be a remaster of Ubuntu requiring a fresh installation of the OS.
So, while you are correct, it does not break unity explicitly, it does kinda break my existing installation... :)
Although nothing stops me from from running it in a VM :)

--edit--
So get this, Just tried to boot into unity on my laptop, and it booted just fine.
It had the same s***** white theme as in the video. Good stuff.

I didn't install gNatty. Guess I just never had a reason to boot back into Unity once I started using G3

wildmanne39
July 14th, 2011, 04:26 AM
The instructions at the link I gave him doesn't break Unity.

This is how I do it http://www.webupd8.org/2011/07/gnatty-ubuntu-1104-remaster-with-gnome.html , if you look at the video both Unity & Gnome shell run on the same installation.Hi, I see what your are talking about now, that is not what I was talking about I meant the version that came out officially. I did try to install gnome3 three different times using virtualbox when they both first came out and I never got a working system.

I am sorry for butting in.

sir.sargento
July 14th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the responses. Gnatty does some cool but unfortunately I would like to keep my current install.

cbowman57
July 14th, 2011, 06:29 AM
With respect, this appears to be a remaster of Ubuntu requiring a fresh installation of the OS.
So, while you are correct, it does not break unity explicitly, it does kinda break my existing installation... :)
Although nothing stops me from from running it in a VM :)

--edit--
So get this, Just tried to boot into unity on my laptop, and it booted just fine.
It had the same s***** white theme as in the video. Good stuff.

I didn't install gNatty. Guess I just never had a reason to boot back into Unity once I started using G3

I've got no use for Unity either, but some people like to keep that option. :)

nesos
July 16th, 2011, 07:08 AM
A lot of people who have install gnome3 have serious issues afterwards.
Some programs designed for gtk2 don't work under Gnome3, but work under different environment (Enlightenment, KDE) in the same system. And programs using gtk3 don't work when started not under Gnome3.