PDA

View Full Version : Decoding MIME but in Windows

CptSnork
July 13th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I know, I should probably go to another forum to ask this but you guys are always a great help!!!

I'm actually helping a friend with this. He is running Eudora on XP and can't open pdf attachments half of the time. I never had this problem and strangely enough Eudora never has this problem on Linux or Mac.

I searched around and found out that you can manually decode the message with Base64. It's pretty clear to me how to do this in Ubuntu since you can just add this utility and off you go...
BUT how do I add/install Base64 on windows? I just can't get it to work :(. I used this program http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/base64/ and I'm stuck on how to add this utility to the ms cmd or running it out of the source folder.

cariboo
July 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Isn't Eudora just a rebranded version of Thunderbird? Why not go with it instead?

freebeer
July 14th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Odd. Eudora always opened pdfs for me - in various Windows platforms (Win2k, XP, etc.)

I suspect something is missing with this person's Windows install.

CptSnork
July 18th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Isn't Eudora just a rebranded version of Thunderbird? Why not go with it instead?

:D That's what ended up happening... This problem had a lot of other issues (old email hosting service etc.). Thanks for your help though!

CptSnork
July 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Odd. Eudora always opened pdfs for me - in various Windows platforms (Win2k, XP, etc.)

I suspect something is missing with this person's Windows install.

This was a super old version 6.2.x.x of Eudora and the OS had some issues too... I might've even convinced him to start using Ubuntu at home. :P

Tibuda
July 19th, 2011, 12:47 AM

That's news to me. I remember using Eudora a long time ago in Windows 98 I think.

Thanks cariboo.