PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablet HELP

KdotJ
July 12th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Hey Android fans... I seek your advice!

I'm planning on buying an Android tablet and I think I've narrowed my choice down to just three...

Asus Transformer (http://uk.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/)

Motorola Xoom (http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Consumers/xoom-android-tablet/us-en/techspecs.html)

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab/10.1/index.html) (not released in the UK until August)

Does anyone here own any of these? (as the Samsung Tab 10.1 is already out in the States). If you do, are you happy with it? Do you have any comments about it? Bad things to say? Are they responsive?

I'd really appreciate any feedback, as I really can't decide.

As a note about Android, I've never had any experience with the whole thing. I'm not fussed about learning it, but there's a few things I'd like to know...
Each of these devices come with Android 3.0 Honeycomb... But when new versions of Android come out I'll be able to upgrade the OS to the new version? Or is that not the case?
I own an iPhone, which as we all know is pretty locked down in terms of what I can fiddle with.. Can you really do anything on Android? (eg. download different on screen keyboards?)

Also, these three devices come from different manufactures, but does this mean the environment will be different? Does the manufacture add their own spin in the OS, or lock parts of it? Or is Android the same no matter what device?

Sorry for all the n00b questions, I just want to make sure that I get the right one and that I get my facts straight first!

Thanks in advance!

Jose Catre-Vandis
July 12th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I suggest you go and play with them in a shop ( I say play because all tablets are really just toys ;)) then you will get an idea of each model's look feel and ability. If you want to be productive then spend your money on a good netbook instead.

In answer to your questions:

1. Maybe - sometimes but not always
2. Yes/Maybe - depends if you want to load a modded OS or brick your device. The market will allow all sorts of add-ons
3. Most probably you will get the makers spin on the OS, with some parts of Android left in, some bits left out

LowSky
July 12th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Is the Asus transformer even out yet?

I would suggest just playing around with each one before throwing money at them.

I purchased a Viewsonic G-Tablet for less than half of a Xoom and modded it to run Cyanogenmod 7. It has nearly the same internals and does everything I wish.

Another thing I learned is that many apps built for the android phones dont always run great on tablets. they dont run the right size in many cases. Some apps are only on phones which is an annoyance.

Lastly I would say think of your need for one. The price point is the same as many laptops. I barely use my tablet and when I do I realize I could have done the same stuff on my netbook. Just really think if it will be a benefit to you in anyway, for me my tablet is just a plaything.

PuddingKnife
July 12th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I think Motorola is awful, so that's out.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks smooth as hell, and quite capable too, but its pretty much priced exactly as the iPad.

The Asus Transformer is the real winner here, providing pretty much the same internals and coming in at a cheaper price. It's a little thicker than the Galaxy Tab, but if you don't mind that, it'd be my choice in a heartbeat.

uRock
July 13th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Personally, I'd try out the iPad as well. I know a few people who have bought iPads after trying the others and claiming the others were trash in comparison.

PuddingKnife
July 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Personally, I'd try out the iPad as well. I know a few people who have bought iPads after trying the others and claiming the others were trash in comparison.

Good advice, but I'm wondering if "the others" were running Honeycomb? Trash is kind of harsh, and its the language I'd use if describing a Froyo/Gingerbread tablet :P

uRock
July 13th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Good advice, but I'm wondering if "the others" were running Honeycomb? Trash is kind of harsh, and its the language I'd use if describing a Froyo/Gingerbread tablet :P
Lol, that is their words. I haven't touched and iPad nor any of the others, so I can't give my impression. I have a netbook, which fits my needs well enough, but if were in the market for any of the above devices, then I would definitely give them all a shot.

LowSky
July 13th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Doesn't the ipad need iTunes. Not very helpful for people running only Ubuntu or Linux in general.

uRock
July 13th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Doesn't the ipad need iTunes. Not very helpful for people running only Ubuntu or Linux in general.

That wouldn't be a problem for me. I don't use my computers for music playback.

doas777
July 13th, 2011, 02:43 AM
That wouldn't be a problem for me. I don't use my computers for music playback.
well, the point is that the ipad is essentially a large ipod Touch and as such, much of its maintenance still requires itunes.

I will admit though uRock, your advice is pertinent. I have an iPod for exactly that reason. all the android mp3 players I checked out had horrible reviews. I'm hoping that someone can really step up and compete with apple, but as of yet, it seems they have the game.

pwnst*r
July 13th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Scratch the Xoom. They priced it to match the iPad2 much too late anyway.

The transformer is a nice piece of kit. Played with one a friend bought several weeks ago. Quite fast, lots of ports, but a bit bulky, pretty nice screen.

I was fortunate enough to handle the 10.1 recently too, from a colleague who purchased one in the pre-sale in NYC who came to town for business.
It also, is quite fast, and much nicer to look at from an aesthetics point of view and extremely comfortable to hold. The screen on it...well, it's Samsung, and it's the best tablet screen I've seen to date.

The only downside is that it's more than the Transformer, and it only has one proprietary port.

Could be deal breakers for some, I'm still undecided. I'll probably wait until fall to see if this rumored iPad HD has an actually widescreen and much better resolution.

t0p
July 13th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I have an android phone, which I quite like. I was given an android tab, which I've put away and never looked at again. I don't really rate android as a "proper" os. It's okay for phones, but not for anything you wish to do computerish stuff on. I've still got an Asus EeePC 701 netbook, which I often take out with me. But tabs... nah. For one thing, so much of the display is taken up by the keyboard. With a netbook you get a tab-sized screen and a keyboard.

lancest
July 13th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I use my Archos 70 Int tablet for streaming music, couch surfing, translation, notes, GDocs- alot of things.
Bluetooth works great including Apple keyboard, Sony headphones.
Pandora on Android is awesome, and I get email notifications during.
Do not have an Android phone yet, but I'm pretty impressed with this new style of computing.

tumbes2000
July 13th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I have been using the Motorola xoom for several months and have really liked it. I tried the apple ipad as well and felt it was not as capable as the xoom. If you are I th eUS, the xoom is the default Google experience tablet so we get Google updates before everyone else. Honeycomb 3.2 is rolling out today/tomorrow:).

The tablet is well built, very solid and durable. It has gorrila glass and a full metal back. No plastic back like Samsung tab.

I would highly recommend the xoom to anyone considering a tablet.

plb
July 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
The tab 10.1 is the most gorgeous of the lot IMO. Spec wise I believe they are all about the same more or less. You should also take a look at the Toshiba Thrive. It is a bit bulky but the specs are pretty cool. Full HDMI port, SD card slot (not mini) and more.

pwnst*r
July 13th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I have an android phone, which I quite like. I was given an android tab, which I've put away and never looked at again. I don't really rate android as a "proper" os. It's okay for phones, but not for anything you wish to do computerish stuff on. I've still got an Asus EeePC 701 netbook, which I often take out with me. But tabs... nah. For one thing, so much of the display is taken up by the keyboard. With a netbook you get a tab-sized screen and a keyboard.

Which android tablet was given to you? If honeycomb's not on it, I can see why you wouldn't like it. Anything pre-honeycomb is a joke and not an Android tablet OS anyway.

KdotJ
July 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Thank you all for the replies!
I totally agree with those who say it's a plaything.. And that's kind of why I'm getting one. I already have a laptop and a netbook... The netbook I hardly use though as the battery isn't all that so I need to take my charger if I need it more than 2 hours.

As for the iPad, I think they're great, no doubt. But the main reason I wantthee tablet is to own an android device. I want to experience it and play around with it, and iOS is so limited to what you can do... And I have my iPhone for the forseeable future so I still that the iOS benefits.

I'm also a developer, but when I'm not at work I also play around with other little programming things and really wantto have a stab at android programming. I have the emulator etc installed but it's far to slow to really test out big apps.

As suggested, I think I'll go and have a play with them all and make a decision that way.

mindseye
July 15th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I had a netbook eepc thingy from way back, but I ended up getting rid of it because it wasn't computery enough for me. I'm wanting a tablet mainly for ebooks, but with more computer options. :)

One question I had on the tablets, are you locked into their app stores, or can you get software that will run on them elsewhere?

Ayuthia
July 16th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I ended up with the Transformer out of those three options. The main reason for me was the keyboard. It is a small keyboard, but it does come in handy when you need to type. The other bonuses of the keyboard dock is the ability to carry it around like a netbook and it has its own battery supply so you can get some extra time using your tablet (or charge your tablet when you are not close to your power supply).

The Transformer does provide firmware updates to go from 3.0 to 3.1, but i am not too sure about if they will go to something like 4.0. The update is supposed to be able to come over the air, but I ended up using the microSD card process to install it because the update never came.

As for app stores, you can use whatever you want. There are a few out there and then you can also go to some developer forums and download packages there and install them.