PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install CD

OldDog11
July 12th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I recently downloaded the 32 bit version Ubuntu 11.04 and copied to CD.
The live CD loaded with the Gnome 2 desktop, I was expecting the Unity desktop. What do I have to do to get Unity?

Also the install seemed to go through up until the login screen after the restart. I logged in and the boot seemed to hang with occasional flashes of screens, they disappeared to quickly to see what they were though. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have tried using 2 different CD's downloaded and copied on different computers but both gave the same problem. I then tried loading the LTS version and that loaded without problems.

At the moment I have given up with the latest version but I would like to know what is wrong.

sanderd17
July 12th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I recently downloaded the 32 bit version Ubuntu 11.04 and copied to CD.
The live CD loaded with the Gnome 2 desktop, I was expecting the Unity desktop. What do I have to do to get Unity?

on many systems, you have to install Ubuntu before you can get into Unity. This kinda misses the point of a Live CD, but I think it will be fixed in 11.10 or 12.04

Also the install seemed to go through up until the login screen after the restart. I logged in and the boot seemed to hang with occasional flashes of screens, they disappeared to quickly to see what they were though. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have tried using 2 different CD's downloaded and copied on different computers but both gave the same problem. I then tried loading the LTS version and that loaded without problems.

At the moment I have given up with the latest version but I would like to know what is wrong.

When you fill in your password, try selecting "gnome without effects" or something like that. On the bottom of your screen. Then see if you can install better video drivers.