PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Random stuff not working

DarrenMR415
July 12th, 2011, 05:11 PM
My webcam, and minecraft have stopped working. They open, then the window disappears. Ive recently been fighting with CCSM not sure if that would have any effect.

DarrenMR415
July 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
There has been several updates to minecraft since its stopped working, which makes me very sad, since I cant play.

CatKiller
July 12th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Ive recently been fighting with CCSM not sure if that would have any effect.

Maybe.

Try running them in a Terminal so that you get to see any error messages. It might shed some light on the matter.

DarrenMR415
July 12th, 2011, 06:17 PM
How do I do that?

DarrenMR415
July 12th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I did alt-F2 and grabbed the minecraft Jar. Terminal opened for a second, then closed.

CatKiller
July 12th, 2011, 06:59 PM
How do I do that?

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal.

Type in the command to launch the program you're trying to run.

Error messages then have a place to go.

DarrenMR415
July 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
My issue is not knowing the command.

CatKiller
July 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM
My issue is not knowing the command.

How were you running them before?

DarrenMR415
July 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Icon on the desktop.

CatKiller
July 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Icon on the desktop.

I'm assuming that means that you've got a file on your Desktop. I take it from your earlier post that it's some kind of .jar file.

java -jar ~/Desktop/NameOfTheJARFile.jar (case-sensitive) might be what you want. I've not used such a thing myself.

DarrenMR415
July 12th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I'm assuming that means that you've got a file on your Desktop. I take it from your earlier post that it's some kind of .jar file.

java -jar ~/Desktop/NameOfTheJARFile.jar (case-sensitive) might be what you want. I've not used such a thing myself.

Unable to access jarfile /home/darren/desktop/minecraft.jar

wildmanne39
July 12th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hi, you might want to run a disk check just to be on the safe side by opening disk utility.

Zombie_Z
July 12th, 2011, 11:50 PM
HI I'm fairly new to UBUNTU, Love it so far, Using 11.04 on a high end AMD machine, anyways to my point, I was trying to enable desktop cube, and after attempting to do that, I no longer have a border around several windows.... PLEASE HELP, Very frustrating. Also, possibly key info, I have Unity disabled, and it was all fine right before i tried using the cube. Flustered.

Kind of a bummer. Im pretty new to Ubuntu, and advanced computing.

Zombie_Z
July 13th, 2011, 12:25 AM
!!!DISREGARD MY LAST POST, FOUND MY SOLUTION!!! Thank god for genius' with signatures ;) u know who you are!!

Didnt't look hard enough for the solution.

wildmanne39
July 13th, 2011, 12:40 AM
!!!DISREGARD MY LAST POST, FOUND MY SOLUTION!!! Thank god for genius' with signatures ;) u know who you are!!

Didnt't look hard enough for the solution.Hi, here is a guide to setup the cube in natty.
http://amazingubuntucube.blogspot.com/

DarrenMR415
July 13th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Hi, you might want to run a disk check just to be on the safe side by opening disk utility.

Im still not very good with all this. I opened disk utility, but I dont see an option for disk check. I do see "check filesystem" but it wont let me run that because it says the device is busy.

wildmanne39
July 13th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Im still not very good with all this. I opened disk utility, but I dont see an option for disk check. I do see "check filesystem" but it wont let me run that because it says the device is busy.Hi, on the right of the window it says smart status and right underneath that is says smart data click on that and see what it says, choose the disk partition that ubuntu is on first, you might only have one.

DarrenMR415
July 13th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Self test complete ok
bad sectors none
overall assessment disk is healthy.

wildmanne39
July 13th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Self test complete ok
bad sectors none
overall assessment disk is healthy.
Hi, thats is good, a lot of times when someone starts having a lot of programs not working properly it is due to file corruption because of bad sectors in a hard drive.

I am not sure what is causing your problem I have never used the programs you are talking about.

A lot of the time to open a program in a terminal you just type the name of the program you want to run, but I do not know if that will work with your program but you can try that, if it will open it that will give error messages that can help to fix the problem.

alquery
July 13th, 2011, 02:14 AM

There might be two issues with the command you entered: first, you might have to capitalize Desktop, since folder and filenames are case sensitive. So

java -jar ~/Desktop/minecraft.jar

Also, your file might not be a .jar file at all, but maybe a .desktop file? If the file on your desktop has no visible extension, then that is probably the case.

CatKiller
July 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM

It's case-sensitive. desktop and Desktop are not the same. minecraft and MineCraft are not the same.

DarrenMR415
July 13th, 2011, 11:57 PM
darren@darren-laptop:~$ java -jar ~/Destop/minecraft.jar
Unable to access jarfile /home/darren/Destop/minecraft.jar

The minecraft.jar is "minecraft.jar".

alquery
July 14th, 2011, 02:28 AM
darren@darren-laptop:~$ java -jar ~/Destop/minecraft.jar
Unable to access jarfile /home/darren/Destop/minecraft.jar

The minecraft.jar is "minecraft.jar".

Because "Desktop" is misspelled "Destop" in both cases, it leads me to believe that the command was typed in wrong (as you probably did not manually type out the error you got from your console.)

Try copying (Ctrl-c) and then pasting (Ctrl-Shift-V) into terminal the command:

java -jar ~/Desktop/minecraft.jar

DarrenMR415
July 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Because "Desktop" is misspelled "Destop" in both cases,

:(

darren@darren-laptop:~$ java -jar ~/Desktop/minecraft.jar
16 achievements
151 recipes
Setting user: slipmagt, -1411550721681694701
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x81066ef6, pid=9692, tid=2185231216
#
# JRE version: 6.0_26-b03
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (20.1-b02 mixed mode linux-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [libGL.so.1+0x65ef6] XF86DRIQueryExtension+0x8e
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/darren/hs_err_pid9692.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
Aborted
darren@darren-laptop:~$

I opened the pid9692, its quite long, should I still post it here?

CatKiller
July 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x81066ef6, pid=9692, tid=2185231216

Yay! We've got to the point where we can start diagnosing the problem.

Doesn't look like it's Compiz-related, it's that Java is segfaulting.

I opened the pid9692, its quite long, should I still post it here?

Possibly in a new thread. I doubt anyone that knows about this is going to get to this point in this thread. Something like "Java Segfaults on Minecraft" would be a better title. If you put the error log in Code tags, it will make your message easier to read.

I don't use Java, so I can't help with your particular problem. Someone else might have more of a clue. You could see if you have more luck using OpenJRE rather than Sun's JRE in the meantime.