Intel i3-2310M
Intel HD Graphics 3000
15.6 HD Led monitor
4Gb Ddr3 Ram
Ub11.04

I have a couple of trouble

No Brightness control
No touchpad scroll

I have an additional problem with the quality of audio, but right now it's not urgent at all.
I'm searching online since Saturday but I'm not able to find the solution to this problem. Brightness control is the most urgent, I need to save energy and have a better battery life!
Can you help me? I can give you all information you need, you have only to ask! Thanks!

THANKS!!!

Manyette
July 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I have a 5750 also, and the brightness control is on the arrow keys (with Fn) and the scroll does work just find. Do you have the scroll enabled?

Sda1986
July 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Yes, I know I can control brightness with Fn+Arrows L\R, but when I do it, the brightness doesn't change.

But inside /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness the number change when I change the level with FN+Arrow...

I don't have in mouse option the tab about scrolling...

This is how it is just after installed...

Do you have a different situation? what OS? anything to change?

Manyette
July 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Well, if the numbers change, but the brightness does not, it seems to be a hardware problem, I suppose. As for the scrolling, I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and it is under Prererences->Mouse->Touchpad. But I did believe that the selection was in all versions of Ubuntu. Perhaps I'm in error, or perhaps you are running another distro? Anyway, sorry I couldn't help.

I will add that the changes to brightness are not as large as with other machines. It takes rather dim lighting to see them.

Sda1986
July 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I run Ubuntu 11.04

I tried Ubuntu 10.10, same problem both Video and Pad...

No change of back light and no pad tab

Manyette
July 12th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I sent to you a private message, quite long, with some details which may help. But a conversation with the Dell folks might be in order.

Sda1986
July 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM
So according with "Manyette", brightness control doesn't work with a 1.10+ bios, he had a 1.05 and it worked.

So maybe (i hope) soon they will fix this. Does anybody know if LED monitor can save energy with less brightness? or change brightness is the same as use the command xgamma -gamma n, with n a number?

EDIT: It might be better talk about BACKLIGHT not brightness...

Any idea for the touchpad?

Kirkhelek
August 20th, 2011, 02:24 PM
So according with "Manyette", brightness control doesn't work with a 1.10+ bios, he had a 1.05 and it worked.

So maybe (i hope) soon they will fix this. Does anybody know if LED monitor can save energy with less brightness? or change brightness is the same as use the command xgamma -gamma n, with n a number?

hi, i have an acer 575 too and i solved the touchpad and screen problems on ubuntu 10.04 installing the last kernel-> 2.6.38 (nvidia optimus doesn.t have support yet, so don't install the private drivers)

but, the problem with the brightness is already unfixed. anyone solved it?

sbraz
August 20th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Does anybody know if LED monitor can save energy with less brightness? or change brightness is the same as use the command xgamma -gamma n, with n a number?

yes, lowering the brightness saves power. led screens use leds (duh) for the exact same purpouse lamps did in the past: provide white light to be filtered by the pixels.
the problem might have something to do with the module acer_wmi; its source code changed a lot from 2.6.39.4 to 3.0.0 (so much that my bluetooth didn't work anymore :D). it is possible that a recent 3.0.0 kernel will fix your problem about brightness.

about the touchpad, post the output of xinput list, like this:

root@sbraz-netbook:/usr/src/broadcom# xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® SideWinder™ X3 Mouse id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ PS/2 Generic Mouse id=15 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Sleep Button id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ USB Keyboard id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ USB Keyboard id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ 1.3M WebCam id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=14 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Acer WMI hotkeys id=16 [slave keyboard (3)]

that in bold is my alps touchpad, wrongly recognized as a ps2 mouse. :( that's why in my case scrolling doesn't work.

i'm testing a kernel patch with some successes (i'm running an unpatched kernel as i type).
this is what i changed:
https://confluence.nau.edu/confluence/display/~cmg238@nau.edu/Recognize+ALPS+Touchpad+on+Dell+E6510+in+Ubuntu

It might be better talk about BACKLIGHT not brightness...
i think given the context that brightness is correct too, i'm using 10.10 english and in "power management preferences" it says "set display brightness to". :)

Mr.Pytagoras
August 21st, 2011, 08:24 AM
Hi I also bough this type of laptop, I have 5750G with i5 2410m procesor and nvidia GT540/intel GPU(optimus)

I've been googling to find a solution for the brightness problem and it seem that the only way how to control the brightness is to add acpi_osi=Linux to grub.cfg, right now I not on my new laptop, but when i get there i will post my grub.cfg

I had also problems with power consuption, the system was gradually consuming more power, starting at 16-18w/h since start, ending(and holding) at 30w/h I manage to solve it with some configurations.

Not to mention Nvidia card, if you want to use you system then DO NOT INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER, otherwise you will end with a black screen, however there is ongoing project to support the Optimus technology under linux, so maybe someday we will be able to use the Optimus and Nvidia card.

I had also problem with webcam(solved), touchpad and system lags(solved)

I will post a new reply when I get on my laptop

Mr.Pytagoras
August 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM
hi again

the acpi_osi=Linux workaround

menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 2a9dfb30-ef75-4ae1-ab3c-b7ecbd7893dc
linux /vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=9a065b58-2033-4bcc-943e-1586e8a168b4 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7 acpi_osi=Linux
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}
to save some battery I've been using this script:

#!/bin/sh
# A script to enable laptop power saving features for #! & Debian GNU+linux.
# http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/11954

# List of modules to unload, space seperated. Edit depending on your hardware and preferences.
modlist="uvcvideo"
# Bus list for runtime pm. Probably shouldn't touch this.
buslist="pci spi i2c"

case "$1" in
true)
# Enable some power saving settings while on battery
# Enable laptop mode
echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
# Less VM disk activity. Suggested by powertop
echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
# Intel power saving
echo Y > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
echo 1 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
# Set backlight brightness to 50%
echo 5 > /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
# USB powersaving
for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/autosuspend; do
echo 1 > $i
done
# SATA power saving
for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy; do
echo min_power > $i
done
# Disable hardware modules to save power
for mod in $modlist; do
grep $mod /proc/modules >/dev/null || continue
modprobe -r $mod 2>/dev/null
done
# Enable runtime power management. Suggested by powertop.
for bus in $buslist; do
for i in /sys/bus/$bus/devices/*/power/control; do
echo auto > $i
done
done
;;
false)
#Return settings to default on AC power
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
echo 500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
echo N > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
echo 0 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
echo 10 > /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/autosuspend; do
echo 2 > $i
done
for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy
do echo max_performance > $i
done
for mod in $modlist; do
if ! lsmod | grep $mod; then
modprobe $mod 2>/dev/null
fi
done
for bus in $buslist; do
for i in /sys/bus/$bus/devices/*/power/control; do
echo on > $i
done
done
;;
esac

exit 0
just copy it and save it as /etc/pm/power.d/powersave
and make it executable:

chmod +x /etc/pm/power.d/powersave

I was using this script also on my old asus laptop, and now using it on my new acer laptop and it works :)

Peter Parkorr
October 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Linux, and just about to buy the Acer 5750 with core i7 and the Geforce 540 (with optimus technology).

I'm planning on installing Ubuntu Studio 11.04, so am I right in thinking I should install the distro but skip installing the Nvidia drivers for now, and until I use the workaround here or this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1835123&highlight=acer+5750) it should all be working fine except for brightness control and the touchpad only?

I can live without those while I figure it out...
Thanks

PP

Peter Parkorr
October 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Linux, and just about to buy the Acer 5750 with core i7 and the Geforce 540 (with optimus technology).

I'm planning on installing Ubuntu Studio 11.04, so am I right in thinking I should install the distro but skip installing the Nvidia drivers for now, and until I use the workaround here or this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1835123&highlight=acer+5750) it should all be working fine except for brightness control and the touchpad only?

I can live without those while I figure it out...
Thanks

PP

I bought the laptop, installed (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1858510) Ubuntu 11.04 and the touchpad, networking etc, are working fine. The backlight adjustment isn't working but no biggie. No problems witht the screen but I havent installed any extra drivers.

markitzero
October 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I have an Acer 5742 and I fixed the brightness controls using
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
And replacing
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
With
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

Credit to http://livinginjava.blogspot.com/2010/11/ubuntu-1010-brightness-problem-in-acer.html

Peter Parkorr
October 15th, 2011, 02:03 AM
And replacing
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
With

Credit to http://livinginjava.blogspot.com/2010/11/ubuntu-1010-brightness-problem-in-acer.html

Ah, thanks dude, looks simple enough. My line looks like this though;

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" vga=771" so maybe best to leave it?
Shane

sbraz
October 16th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Ah, thanks dude, looks simple enough. My line looks like this though;

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" vga=771" so maybe best to leave it?
Shane

removing that vga=771 shouldn't break anything important, anyway you can add that parameter to your /etc/default/grub separated by a space, here's mine (different computer):

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="no_console_suspend vga=0 pcie_aspm=force"

Peter Parkorr
October 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Righto, will give it a pop then and report back!
Shane

Peter Parkorr
October 23rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
And replacing
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
With

Worked a charm (the keys for brighter/darker are reversed for the record)

Thanks markitzero / sbraz

Going to try powersaving stuff now. Only stealing this thread from OP as it is Acer 5750 so keeping it all in one place for other newbies.
Shane

thedebster
November 22nd, 2011, 05:43 AM
I'm still having problems with the brightness control not actually changing the brightness. The graphic on the top right indicates the brightness is going up and down but the brightness doesn't actually change.

Any insight?

Peter Parkorr
December 1st, 2011, 02:24 AM
I'm still having problems with the brightness control not actually changing the brightness. The graphic on the top right indicates the brightness is going up and down but the brightness doesn't actually change.

Any insight?

Hi Deb,

Sorry for the late reply...

Did you add "acpi_osi=Linux" and then update grub? If you didnt update grub then no changes will have taken effect I think.

running "sudo update-grub" in Terminal may fix it for you.

Peter

super123hit
December 1st, 2011, 06:41 AM
yes, decreasing the brightness saves energy. brought screens use leds (duh) for that identical purpouse lamps did previously: provide whitened light to become strained through the pixels.

the issue may have something related to the module acer_wmi its source code transformed so much from 2.6.39.4 to three.. (a lot that my bluetooth did not work any longer ). it's possible that the recent 3.. kernel will fix your condition about brightness.

cucisan
December 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
hello!

thanks a lot for the hint with acpi_osi=Linux

this fixed the brightness problem on my Packard Bell TSX66 (which is actually an Acer 5750 or something similar) and also it seems it fixed my not-working usb3.0 :)

that is on oneiric with kernel 3.0.0-14.23

fyi: ironhide (aka bumblebee) works flawlessly with this laptop and battery reports 9.9w discharge rate which is great for an core i5 :)

Manyette
December 17th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Brightnewss solution. Modify /etc/default/grub using "gksudo gedit grub".

Change this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

To:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="

Then save the file.

Then before rebooting issue the command in terminal
sudo update-grub

Reboot and the brightness controls should now work properly on the Acer 7550 series of machines.

durilka
January 25th, 2012, 03:49 PM
well, today after the kernel update the touchpad stopped working.

3.0.0-15-generic #26-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 20 17:23:00 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

there's no "touchpad" tab in mouse settings and xinput shows none. ideas?

EDIT. The touchpad is magically after couple of reboots back(orly?) but having acpi_osi=linux hasn't changed anything after grub-update. maybe it's the lowercase l in linux. it got offended. i'll try after next reboot again.

aspi12
September 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Brightnewss solution. Modify /etc/default/grub using "gksudo gedit grub".

Change this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

To:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="

Then save the file.

Then before rebooting issue the command in terminal
sudo update-grub

Reboot and the brightness controls should now work properly on the Acer 7550 series of machines.

Are you right?

acpi_osi=
or
acpi_osi=Linux?

I changed it to acpi_osi=Linux on my acer 5750 and it works. But the system saves not the value and if I switch to Batterie mode I have to switch the Brightnews mysef.

If I change the value I didn't become a notification from ubuntu. Before I changed acpi_osi=Linux i got the notification message but it dosn't works.

sunkumar
May 24th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Thank you