PDA

View Full Version : Audio OS (screen/monitor/displayless Operating System)

alexan
July 12th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Does exist such thins? I mean, some sort of OS that run without any need of display but only work with touch/voice/audio. The feedback is always given through audio (you "read" list of file/document/available option with text-to-speech) and you can give input through button and/or microphone).

Probably there are software assistant for both Widows/Linux/MacOS/etc for sightless people... but I was thinking more build totally from scratch with this propose.

Now days in a thumb usb can stay a whole PC... I think that control it from/through bluetooth headphone and microphone would be cool (maybe with some learning tutorial software included for newbie).

DangerOnTheRanger
July 12th, 2011, 04:40 PM
But how will I play Doom??

On a more serious note, how could users do common things like write documents with OOo, or browse the web?

cgroza
July 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I do not think that modern speech recognition is advanced enough to be used in such tasks.

alexan
July 12th, 2011, 08:31 PM
It shouldn't be supposed to substitute current conception of the common OSes... more likely to extend in another path.
Modern OS use both audio and visual combined to give all the stuff you need... but as they are now "audio" is a feature mostly unused (you could disable audio and still be able to perform everything).

I think that the pioneer idea of having an Audio OS would extend out of visual addiction modern OSses as well.

Just think in all those SciFi movie when people spend much more time in "asking and get answer" from the main computer instead checking panels over the wall or holograms all around.
I mean, ok.. there are cinematographic reason for it, but it does make sense in a supposed real world.

For example... you had to re-think common-simple things like enlist folder.
ie: you've a folder with about 300 OOo documents into it... it would take a lot of time just to listen (and about ~100~200 titles your brain would be already disconnected from your ears :lolflag: )

But possible solution would have the meta tagging.

command > enlist "office folder"
OS reply (think a robotic metallic voice) < there are 300 documents available there, in which are:
< 30 different authors while 120 documents anonymous
< 5 "genres" of documents in which (since this sub list is shorter the OS choose to enlist directly): office, database, novels, educational book, poetry
command > list author within "novels" tag
OS reply < command received list 1.authors through 2.TAG: novel
[the OS wait two or three second to fix he get wrong (you can give "ok" to shorter the wait time)... then keep the given duty]
OS reply < listing 12 authors with the required tag "novel"
< 4 documents "Anonymous"
< 2 documents "John Smith"
[etc etc]