PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 installation in RAID0

crazy_programmer
July 12th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Wojtek. I'm a new user of Ubuntu after years using the Windows. I ahve the question to you and I couldn't find the answer on the web. When I'm installing Ubuntu 11.04 in RAID configuration the system see the RAID Hard Drives such as one but the GRUB boot loader will not install in a RAID0 configuration. So here is my question. I have the other HDD from the laptop. It is a Seagate Momentus 5400.3 ST980811AS. Will ii work if I'll install the GRUB boot loader on this HDD and install an Ubuntu System in RAID0?

vivakh
July 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Hi there, i dont know if this will help you, but you can check it out. Link here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID).

crazy_programmer
July 12th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the answer. I'd say I'll not make the RAID0. To much combination with this and the performence won't be that big as should be :) I had the RAID0 before on Windows 7 Ultimate but one of the HDD what I have had the very slow read in 3 sectors over 500ms so I don't want to lose all of my data. So what I've done is that I've used one HDD for operating systems and the other one for the data. Now I'm sure that my data is safe because I've used the HDD without any bugs. I was surprised that one of my HDD has already a slow read in a few sectors because the HDDs ale nearly new. I've bought them in Feb. Anyway thanks for the answer.